none
The custom update script was not executed. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently setup a WSUS on our intrantet. While trying to get our XP Pro boxes updated, I got the following error.
    "The custom update script was not executed.  The Users group has write permissions
    to the script file so Windows SteadyState cannot use it"

I set the WSUS server in Group policy (on the local machine) ran gpupdate from a command prompt & it ran successfully. Rebooted & saved changes. When checking the event log of the XP boxes (haven't had any problems with the 25 Vista Pro boxes) the following morning, I found the error.
     Anyone have any ideas?
    Dan
    Friday, September 25, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dan, I suggest you check if the current user has write permission to the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState\Scripts

You can also take ownership of the folder and then check the result. Regarding WSUS setup you can check the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/514eeed2-af36-4a76-aef2-475ec3ff2e6c/

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Dan Will Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:20 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 6:06 AM
  • I Sean,
         I went (20 miles) to the computers in question (for some reason logging on with remote desktop I couldn't change the permissions) and changed the permissions on the files in question. I'm still uncertain how these got changed in the first place. Has to be something I did during setup but, I haven't done it on any of the other computers in our Library system (50 or so). Oh Well, problem fixed.
    Dan
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:19 PM