Pre-Planning Question (Business Prep question) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who's doing supply management for various vendors their company works for.  I've setup Performance Point in their SharePoint 2010 and created some sample data and dashboards and such.

My client isn't looking for hardcore analysis from a true BI standpoint, but do will be doing KPI's, charts, etc....they'll probably use 30-50% of the full capabilities of Performance Point.  They are mostly crunching #'s from spreadsheets they receive from their vendors on various activities and items.

I guess I'm looking to start some dialog here.  I'm hoping to find some use cases online to present to my client to see how other organizations have used Performance Point too.  

One thing I notice about Performance Point is the major overhead on the backend.  Getting your data into SQL, then doing SQL Analysis Services and creating KPI's, cubes, etc.  Either I'm missing something in Performance Point in SharePoint to make it much easier, or this is actually how it works and the overhead on the backend is extensive and say, you might an actual DBA getting data in SQL to the end-user can just make a data connection and build their dashboards (which can be simple or hardcore).  I sometimes think PPS has so much overhead and a huge learning curve, that someone (end-user) who's never used SQL or PPS would have to spend a lot of time w/those applications even before they can start crunching #'s and making dashboards and such.  The people using this at my client office are not DBA's and have no desire to play around with SQL Analysis Services.  They have been comparing PPS with the online site zoho.com for reporting usage and such.

Am I looking too deep into PPS or is there a simpler way to get data in, massage the data to a point, then make cool dashboards to present data - or is this how it is....with an extensive backend that needs to be prepped before the front end and end-users can start doing whatever they want to do?

Thoughts?  Idea?

Thanks for reading...(and replying)

• Moved by Heidi Tr - MSFT Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:41 PM wrong queue (From:Planning)
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hello,

PerformancePoint does not require data to be inputed into SSAS or SQL to use.  You have multiple options on where data can be pulled in from.  You can create a data source using the Excel workbooks your customer is using:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff928315.aspx

Here are the different reports and scorecards available in PerformancePoint: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410942.aspx

You create a scorecard based of data being pulled in from Excel workbook.

With PerformancePoint, you do get more options for reporting and charting if your data is in SQL Server Analysis Services but it is not a requirement.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:41 PM
  • SSAS is not a requirement, but that will provide the most functionality and options within PerformancePoint.  You can use tabular data and create KPIs and also reference Excel files or SSRS reports in a dashboard page.  Another source you could reference would be SharePoint lists where you might load your Excel data into possibly.

Besides using the multidimensional SSAS you can also explore using the Excel PowerPivot option and that would provide most of the same functionality you can get with multidimensional SSAS.  This would provide the ability to use the Analytical reports and decomposition tree as well.

Using PowerPivot with PerformancePoint Services (PPS) 2010

This would require someone to have Excel 2010 setup with the PowerPivot add-in along with having the PowerPivot configured in the SharePoint environment.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

PerformancePoint does not require data to be inputed into SSAS or SQL to use.  You have multiple options on where data can be pulled in from.  You can create a data source using the Excel workbooks your customer is using:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff928315.aspx

Here are the different reports and scorecards available in PerformancePoint: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410942.aspx

You create a scorecard based of data being pulled in from Excel workbook.

With PerformancePoint, you do get more options for reporting and charting if your data is in SQL Server Analysis Services but it is not a requirement.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:41 PM
  • SSAS is not a requirement, but that will provide the most functionality and options within PerformancePoint.  You can use tabular data and create KPIs and also reference Excel files or SSRS reports in a dashboard page.  Another source you could reference would be SharePoint lists where you might load your Excel data into possibly.

Besides using the multidimensional SSAS you can also explore using the Excel PowerPivot option and that would provide most of the same functionality you can get with multidimensional SSAS.  This would provide the ability to use the Analytical reports and decomposition tree as well.

Using PowerPivot with PerformancePoint Services (PPS) 2010

This would require someone to have Excel 2010 setup with the PowerPivot add-in along with having the PowerPivot configured in the SharePoint environment.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:59 AM