Anywhere Access wizard giving error "Internet connection is not available" while internet connection works

• Hi

Anywhere Access wizard is giving me error "Internet connection is not available" while access to internet is working fine. I can browse to different web sites and so on.

My Essentials server is on Azure. I also am having troubles using http://servername/connect. On the "Select the server from the drop-down list", I dont see any servers listed. I am not sure if these are related.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:27 AM

All replies

• Can you say what steps you have taken - i have been working on some Essentials Servers in Azure and connected clients etc.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hi

I just went trough the Anywhere Access wizard, added prefix to domain,, added self-signed certificate which is signed using the servers CA so should work in that server. Wizard gives me this error. Cert for is installed to computer and user personal folders.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:55 PM
  • try using a domain from microsoft (*

self signed certs are not ideal for this.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Same problem here, but I don't run Win2012 R2 on Azure. Could it be related to the fact that I've also installed the HyperV-Role?

Internet access from the server itself is perfectly possible and I can also reach the Anywhere website using my URL. But the server keeps telling me in different locations that I don't have internet access and that my ports 80/443 are blocked (which isn't true ... UPnP is also enabled on the router).

What I've done so far?

- adding DNS forwarding addresses (IP of my router and Google's DNS server; both IPv4 and v6)
    - reinstalled the Essentials role
    - disabled IPv6

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:51 AM
  • You should not have installed HyperV role as it is not reccomended to do that on an Essentials install.

You should remove the routers IP from your dns forwarders, and re-enable IPv6.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:02 AM
  • Hi Robert,

I'm facing this error as well but I've not installed a Hyper-V role. I've just created Server Essentials experience VM on Azure. I initially messed up the subnet config on the Azure virtual network so I had to delete my VM and re-provision. Now I have P2S VPN on the Azure virtual network enabled. I also now have the server and the VPN client obtaining IP addresses in the same range. I had a problem with the server name resolution on the VPN client computer, it was accessing the server through IP address but not resolving the name. I solved that by adding the entry to the hosts file on the client. However, there are 2 things happening. the Anywhere Access wizard fails saying there is no internet connection even though I can access the website through my *.remotewebaccess page. Also the client (running windows 10 tech preview) is unable to install the connector software. It gives an error saying "Unknown error. Please contact the person who manages your network" Could you help?

Saturday, November 01, 2014 8:04 AM