Can't connect to Shared Mailbox even though user has Full Access RRS feed

• Question

• We have a shared mailbox located on a exchange 2010 on premise server. For about 2 weeks whenever I give a new person full access in exchange console and they try to expand the folder in Outlook 2016, I am hit with a "The set of folders cannot be opened. The attempt to log on to Microsoft Exchange has failed". Strangely enough, they can open the shared mailbox in owa.

I have tried adding the permission via shell with the auto mapping clause set to false. I have tried adding the box manually via account settings. I have tried cached mode on with the download public folders option enabled and cached mode off and both have the same error result.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:04 PM

Answers

• Perry,

Yes, we used powershell to change the email address of the Microsoft Teams group that we had created. When it was first created, it was created with the same address as an on-premise mailbox. So, when a user tried to connect to that mailbox, it would give an error because it was trying to connect to the Teams group and not the on-premise inbox. Once that Teams email address was changed, users were able to connect to the on-premise mailbox.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:29 PM

All replies

• Check whether the folder level permissions are still set to the default values. These can interfere the mailbox level permissions when the mailbox is added as a Shared Mailbox.

As an alternative, you can add the Shared Mailbox as a separate account by using the credentials of the user (so not the one of the Shared Mailbox as that shouldn't have any).

See: Adding an additional or shared mailbox from the same Exchange organization to Outlook

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Thursday, October 3, 2019 9:53 PM
  • >> Strangely enough, they can open the shared mailbox in owa.

If this shared mailbox can be opened via OWA, the permission was set correctly.

Does this issue occur to all users? Happen to specific shared mailbox?

When opening the shared mailbox in Outlook client, please manually type the default email address (if you have an email address policy applied) instead of choosing from Address Book.

Please install available updates of Office to see if it helps.

If issue persists, try create a new profile.

Any updates, please feel free to post back

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, October 4, 2019 4:40 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 4:40 AM
  • Perry, yes, this issue occurs with all users that are given full access permissions to this shared mailbox.

It is just the one shared mailbox that we have noticed. We tested another shared mailbox and that worked.

I will try manually entering the email address instead of letting it auto correct from the address book and get back to you. 

Office 2016 has already been updated to the latest version.

Note: My boss thinks that because we have Microsoft Teams as well as azure ad sync, when we created a group in teams, it created a email address for that team that is the same as our on-premise email address and when that box is trying to connect to a exchange online account that doesn't exist. 

Friday, October 4, 2019 3:45 PM
  • Robert, I am not sure what you mean by folder level permissions having default values. I assigned the full access permissions in the exchange console so, I thought that would give full access to the entire mailbox folder structure. Unless you mean logging into outlook with that shared box and making sure that users have full access to the inbox and root folders?

I have been adding the shared mailbox as a separate account as a workaround as only that seems to work outside of the owa.  But, I dont want that to be a long term solution as the problem shared mailbox is for an entire department and is quite large.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:15 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 3:52 PM
  • You can set permissions on folders within Outlook as well. When you have assigned people Full Access permissions, make sure that no folder level permissions within Outlook may apply as well as you'd be running into a racing condition into which permission set will win.

Anyway, this is indeed very likely your issue;

Note: My boss thinks that because we have Microsoft Teams as well as azure ad sync, when we created a group in teams, it created a email address for that team that is the same as our on-premise email address and when that box is trying to connect to a exchange online account that doesn't exist.

Make sure that you don't assign the same address to different object in your on-premises and Office 365/Azure environment. Within a properly configured Hybrid environment, this shouldn't be possible either, so you may want to check your hybrid configuration.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, October 7, 2019 5:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, October 23, 2019 1:40 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 7:06 PM
  • Any updates on this issue? Have you checked the suggestion of MVP?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:53 AM
  • Hi Charles,

Have you found a fix for this issue? 

As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook desktop client, I'm not familiar with settings on server side. Was the reply from Roady helpful to you. From your description, this issue lies on this specific shared mailbox.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:16 AM
  • We purchased an exchange online license and that unlocked the powershell commands that allowed us to change the email addresses of the MS Team groups that were impacting our mailbox. 
    Monday, October 14, 2019 6:04 PM
  • We purchased an exchange online license and that unlocked the powershell commands that allowed us to change the email addresses of the MS Team groups that were impacting our mailbox. 
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, October 22, 2019 5:17 AM
    Monday, October 14, 2019 6:04 PM
  • Hi Charles, Could I know whether this issue has been fixed? Do you mean this issue is caused by that email addresses were changed via powershell?

If yes, it would be recommended to mark your reply as answer. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Perry,

Yes, we used powershell to change the email address of the Microsoft Teams group that we had created. When it was first created, it was created with the same address as an on-premise mailbox. So, when a user tried to connect to that mailbox, it would give an error because it was trying to connect to the Teams group and not the on-premise inbox. Once that Teams email address was changed, users were able to connect to the on-premise mailbox.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:29 PM
  • So nice of you to share the information here which will benefit others a lot :)

I will write a brief summary here for your information:

Issue Symptom:

When opening shared mailbox in Outlook client, get this error "The set of folders cannot be opened. The attempt to log on to Microsoft Exchange has failed". Users already have full access to this shared mailbox.

Cause:

We used power-shell to change the email address of the Microsoft Teams group that we had created. When it was first created, it was created with the same address as an on-premise mailbox. So, when a user tried to connect to that mailbox, it would give an error because it was trying to connect to the Teams group and not the on-premise inbox. Once that Teams email address was changed, users were able to connect to the on-premise mailbox.

Solution:

Change that Teams email address

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, October 25, 2019 3:01 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 1:39 AM