none
Windows Disk Protection problems [SOLVED] RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having issues modifying and disabling Windows Disk Protection after it is enabled.  

The first oddity is that after I have successfully enabled WDP and I try to click 'Change cache file size', I get a window titled 'Error' and an error message of 'Unspecified Error'.  If I click OK, I get another window that states, 'There isn't enough free space to change the cache file size'.  That shouldn't be the case since it's a 40GB drive, and 15GB is used by the Cache.WDP file, leaving still another 15GB of free space.

I can't change the level of WDP. I can select Retatin changes temporarily or Retain all changes but if I click OK, the window remains. Only when I click cancel will I get back to the main window of SteadyState. So I'm unable to change the level.

If I try to change WDP back Off, it acts like it removes the cache and reboots the machine. However once back to the logon screen, a 'Windows SteadyState' window overlays the logon screen, and it states 'Windows Disk protection is about to restart the computer. Please wait... Do not manually turn off or restart the computer'. This is odd since the computer had already restarted. I can let this sit for hours and this window will not go away and the machine will never restart.

Also it seems that it will take up to a minute for the machine to logoff/restart/shutdown if bubble.exe is running. If I manually end the bubble.exe process, and then logoff/restart/shutdown, it will happen immediately.

I've tried this on multiple machines - different models and manufacturers with similar results.

XP SP2, Novell Client, no AV

Please advise! Thanks!

Friday, December 5, 2008 9:08 PM

Answers

• I think I've resolved 3 out of the 4 issues (can't change cache file size, can't change level, and incorrect restart logon window).  I resorted to digging out the sysinternals procmon tool and see what registry/file activity was happening when I was trying to change WDP settings.

The recurring error was a GUID (which I'll have to document at a later time) that led me to the MSDN article on WMI / WBEM functionality.

So I flushed the WMI/WBEM repository with the following command-line details.  ***NOTE: It's safer and preferable to RENAME the Repository folder than delete it as I've done below.***

net stop "Windows Management Instrumentation" /y
    net stop "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions"
    pause

del /S /Q C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\*
    pause

net start "Windows Management Instrumentation"
    pause

Once this was done, the WDP issues have gone away.  YMMV.  So it makes sense that if there were problems with WMI, WDP configuration may fail.

However, I'm still interested if anyone has any insight on the bubble.exe causing a delay in shutdown/logoff/restart.  

Hope that helps others!
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:23 PM

All replies

•  

Similiar problem on 2 PC's with XP Pro & SP3. The context screen saying "don't switch off or manually reboot", overlays the "Windows is logging off screen" & sits there indefinately, until I reset, which of course frequently provokes a CHKDSK & more wasted time. 

I've halted deployment on 4 more PC's, hoping to see an answer here.

These PC's are not OEM`s, just generic's, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD's with 40GB's free, only running to provide Kiosk browsing facilities in a public space.

Both have IE V7, Windows Live, NOD32 AV and Windows firewall running.

So far the only way I've been able to get these PC's back online is to either Boot (reset), F8 to safe mode & stop WDP, or delete the limited & Locked user ID & redo it. Only 2 ID's are valid. Admin of course & the limited user.

None of these solutions is satisfactory! Hope to see a better one on here?

Saturday, December 6, 2008 6:18 AM
  •  

Hi, as Windows Disk Protection (WDP) is very sensitive to the hard drive problem. I recommend running the chkdsk command without parameter to check the current status of the hard drive.

-------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in cmd and press Enter.

3. Type in chkdsk and press Enter.

Please check if there is error or bad block on the hard drive.

Meanwhile, please also check if there is a cache file (Cache.WDP) under drive C:. As the cache file was hidden by default, we need to show the hidden files with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

If Cache.WDP exists, we can manually delete it with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer.

5. Start SteadyState, “Cache File Is Corrupted” windows will appear.

6. Select “Create a new cache file” and click OK.

Then, let's check the result. Also, please also make sure antivirus programs are disabled/removed from the computer.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:16 AM
  • I think I've resolved 3 out of the 4 issues (can't change cache file size, can't change level, and incorrect restart logon window).  I resorted to digging out the sysinternals procmon tool and see what registry/file activity was happening when I was trying to change WDP settings.

The recurring error was a GUID (which I'll have to document at a later time) that led me to the MSDN article on WMI / WBEM functionality.

So I flushed the WMI/WBEM repository with the following command-line details.  ***NOTE: It's safer and preferable to RENAME the Repository folder than delete it as I've done below.***

net stop "Windows Management Instrumentation" /y
    net stop "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions"
    pause

del /S /Q C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\*
    pause

net start "Windows Management Instrumentation"
    pause

Once this was done, the WDP issues have gone away.  YMMV.  So it makes sense that if there were problems with WMI, WDP configuration may fail.

However, I'm still interested if anyone has any insight on the bubble.exe causing a delay in shutdown/logoff/restart.  

Hope that helps others!
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:23 PM