First two folders on net share do not appear. RRS feed

• Question

• We are getting a weird behavior recently where some folders don't appear from our server. All win7 machines are fine but our few remaining xp 64 sp2 machines all have identical behavior of not seeing certain folders. The server is win2008 standard.

I first noticed the problem when our updating script attempts to copy data from the share and was missing data. I check explorer and cmd and confirmed the oddity. The pattern is hard to pin down but this is what I know so far.

these are the folders. no hidden, no system attributes, NTFS. All ACLs are set to domain users modify.

a1
    a2
    a3
    a4
    a5
    _temp

I'll show what I see in the commandline on the xp client.

c:\xpmachine\dir \\server\s1\pr\type\64\synch\files\ /b
    a3
    a4
    a5
    _temp

Notice that a1 and a2 are missing. Then I tried

c:\xpmachine\dir \\server\s1\pr\type\64\synch\files\*. /b
    a1
    a2
    a3
    a4
    a5
    _temp

This works. And so does this:

c:\xpmachine\dir \\server\s1\pr\type\64\synch\files\a1 /b 
    file1.txt
    file2.txt

if I add a folder "a0" then I see

c:\xpmachine\dir \\server\s1\pr\type\64\synch\files\ /b
    a2
    a3
    a4
    a5
    _temp

So the behavior is some folders won't show up. But I know it's only for xp64 and it will be the same for all of these machines. I haven't found the pattern of which folders will have a problem.

• Edited by Ben L Friday, October 14, 2011 5:58 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:57 PM

All replies

• can you show us the script ?? And have you checked the attributes of the folder a1,a2 ? why don't you change the attributes of a1,a2 folder through command prompt once. try this : cmd > attrib -h  \\server\s1\pr\type\64\synch\files\a1 and cmd > attrib -h \\server\s1\pr\type\64\synch\files\a2

Regards, h9ck3r.

• Edited by h9ck3r Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:10 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:08 AM
  • There are no attributes set on any folder. And the script doesn't matter. I don't see the folders in explorer.exe either. I only see them on win7 machines. And from the server locally. And none of that would justify why adding folders make the other ones appear.

My only theory is there was a security patch that introduced a bug.

I've tried deleting the folders and starting again but if i use the same names of the root of the path. I get the same behavior.

Sad Face.

Monday, October 17, 2011 2:09 PM
  • There is something wrong on the server side. No idea if there are hot fixes.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:50 PM
  • so you think security patch has created this issue ?? If so why don't you uninstall that patch and check...
    Regards, h9ck3r.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:56 PM
  • I believe it to be a problem on the server now. And since I'm not the sysadmin for that server, I'm limited to giving advice. Ignorance about the cause of the problem leads to stubborn finger pointing.  Since we only see the results of the problem on the clients, it's easy to point the finger back at me and my clients. 
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:14 PM
  • so why don't you contact the system admin and check with him...
    Regards, h9ck3r.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:35 AM