Safari and Firefox take over a minute to complete end-point detection - is this correct? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We've noticed that when attempting connection via a UAG, Firefox and Safari are taking over a minute to complete their client-side compliance checks. This is the time from entering the URL to the time the login prompt is displayed. In comparison, Internet Explorer takes only a few seconds.

We've pushed this back to our third-party supplier/configuration team and they claim that this is down to a Java restriction and is out of their and Microsoft's control.

This can't be true, can it? I've googled this and looked around this forum and can't find anything related to the Java components taking significantly longer to complete the client checks.

We're not willing to accept this claim on behalf of the end-users as they won't be willing to wait over a minute for a login page, so I'd appreciate any comments/experiences anyone else has had of a similar nature.

We're using a single client machine with the following installed:

IE v6.0 (SP3)

Firefox v3.6.16

Safari v5.0.4

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise v8.7.0i (DATs up-to-date)

Java v1.6.0_25

Regards,

Amit

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Amit,

I believe that this is the issue with Java. Is this happeing an all of the clients? Or do u have only one client?

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Friday, August 26, 2011 10:33 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

What sort of checks are you running on your clients?

Regards,

Mylo

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Amit,

I'm seeing the same thing!

IE is normal behaviour, but Firefox and Safari are taking to long on a PC.

Safari on iPad is ok.

John

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Hi

Mylo: As far as I'm aware, we're only doing the basic checks for up-to-date AV and that's about it. Nothing more complex. We are using the Attachment Wiper to delete all session cookies, but that should only come into it once the user logs off. But even so, this doesn't explain the difference between the ActiveX and the Java components.

John: Many thanks for the info. Is this acceptable to you and your clients? Have you investigated further with Microsoft? I'm having no luck in getting a formal statement from them to this effect.

Regards,

Amit

Monday, August 1, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Hi Amit,

I believe that this is the issue with Java. Is this happeing an all of the clients? Or do u have only one client?

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Friday, August 26, 2011 10:33 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:31 AM