none
DPM2010 Client slows down PC RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I'm currently testing DPM2010 to protect the local Outlook .pst archives of our users.

    Everything is working fine ... but: the Client is using to much ressources.

    Our Users can't work with their notebook during an incremental sync, everythng on the desktop is blocked, they can't even start Word or read EMails.

    How can I lower the CPU/HDD usage of the client?

    Again, it's only the backup of a few local .pst files, ~2 to 20GB.

     

    Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:46 AM

Answers

All replies

  • Are the pst files encrypted with EFS? If so test without EFS on the pst files.

    On the clients A/V software try adding exclusions for DPMRA.exe, DPMClientService.exe, DPMClientUI.exe (or just test with the A/V software disabled).

    Thursday, November 4, 2010 12:47 PM
    Moderator
  • No encryption, not compressed.

     

    I will test with AV disabled.

    Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Did you configure "On the wire Compression" ?

    Can you try it using another location such as My documents ? (somewhere with datas but smaller files than .pst files).

    Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:46 PM
  • On the wire is enabled.

    But this should only compress the small incrementals (~10 - 100MB/day)?

     

     

    Friday, November 5, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Could you try without compression?

    And if no changes then why not trying with smaller files?

    Friday, November 5, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

    I had the same problem. We have our own exchange server and clients use Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 and WinXP/Win7. In some cases computers in general were slow but on powerfull laptops with lots of memory and CPU time - Outlook still performed very, very slow. This was critical info for us. We learned that after switching to DPM for client backups - Outlook was very, very slow and users refused to work like that. At one point we tried with removing antivirus (NOD32) from few clients and things started to get better. NOD32 had a history of causing problems in some situations. So, bad combo was NOD32 + DPM client = Outlook slow!

    We then played with NOD32 setting and once we reconfigured web access protection in NOD32 things got better for clients with NOD32 and DPM.

    Hope this helps someone. It took few days of my life to get around this issue but now I am succesfully using DPM for client backups. (did not experience any issues on servers with DPM server backup)

    Best,

    D.


    D.

    Friday, October 5, 2012 8:40 AM