none
Error ID 3315 with Dell PowerVault TL4000 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have DPM 2010 running for quite some time now for short term backup to disk.  So far, it has been good.  We just bought a Dell PowerVault TL4000 which has 4 IBM ULT358-HH5 SAS drives.  

DPM can see the 4 drives, but it shows as IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device.  Those commands such as "add tape (I/E port), Remove Tape.... are all gray out.  It does not seem to see any tapes in the library even though I have 20 brand new tapes in it.  

Can you help me understand why I am getting this error?

Thanks a lot.

Goodcycle,

• Moved by MarcReynolds Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:42 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

In Windows Device Manager do you see the drives and are they showing up as IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device or IBM ULT358-HH5 SAS?

Have you checked with IBM for a driver update? Can tape tools other than DPM see the tapes?

Thanks,

Marc

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Hi, Marc,

Dell's Web GUI has no problem running any command to the tape drive.  We have all the latest firmware and per Dell support instruction we installed the "non-exclusive" driver for both Library and tape drive.  After installed the driver, the name of the tape drive changed to "LTO5" in both Device Manager and DPM. But, still does not work.

Dell support said we need a HBA instead of RAID card to connect to the Library.  Is that true? 

Thanks.

GoodCycle

gooodcycle
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:41 PM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:35 PM