HP Quickplay boot non existant on Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I just installed windows vista on my HP laptop Equipt with quickplay and now that option does not work what did I do wrong ? Did I do anything wrong? Or are we just waiting for an update to come out to use this option.

Aldo

Monday, March 26, 2007 12:42 PM

All replies

• As of right now, quickplay is not fully (if at all) compatible.

There are two workarounds that usually work:

1 - Disable user account control

- Start->control panel->User accounts->Turn user account...
      2 - Set the QuickPlay executable (QP.EXE) to run as administrator

-Right click on qp.exe and select 'Run as administrator'
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:54 PM
  • I purchased a DV6255US with Windows Vista pre-installed.  Promotions at local Circuit City stores, on their web site, and on the HP web site all state that QuickPlay will play DVD's within 30 seconds.  I found that no matter how I start QuickPlay, Windows Vista boots first, and the whole process takes over 2 minutes.  I spent about 90 minutes on the phone with an HP technician on Thursday with no progress, and another 15 minutes with a different HP technician on Friday, who finally told me that QuickPlay cannot boot directly if Vista is installed.

Obviously I'm very disappointed, since I purchased this notebook because of this feature.

I've tried work-around #1 suggested above, with no improvement.  I'd like to try #2, but I cannot locate QP.EXE.  I assume it is somehow hidden on the Recovery partition, which I cannot view.  (I just get a message not to mess with this partion.)  Any help would be appreciated.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:02 PM
  • same exact problem man...i bought the same exact notebook a week ago and when i press the touch-pad's quickplay when the computer is off, vista boots and quickpklay doesn't come on until AFTER i log in and everything...very disappointed. please post if you find a fix..
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:42 AM
  • Me too! I have DV 9500t and quick does not boot up in Vista. I have read a work around a linux partition but I cant say it works or not. My big problem is that it works with regular DVDs but the HD DVD drive will not play HD DVDs! I think it is safe to say Blu Ray is much better!

Friday, October 12, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Same thing here. I bought an HP Pavillion dv6690 last Saturday and I QuickPlay does not work before Vista boots. In fact if you touch any of the QuickPlay buttons Vista is launched automatically.

Anyone knows the reason why, other than *it's just another Vista incompatibility*??

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:42 PM
  • Because of the plethora of added security features on Windows Vista, the default configuration upon installation forces the Vista OS to boot first (on all occasions) and begin running its security programs and system tools before it will allow any .exe processes to run. Essentially, it forces all executable programs to be monitored by the Vista OS and all the "enhanced security." Unfortunately for us, that also means that the much-loved XP QuickPlay boot is now inoperable. I agree with everyone who's written - calling it "QuickPlay" is a terrible marketing ploy, since it's certianly not quick, and it no longer plays ANYTHING without Vista's explicit permission.

As of this writing, no verified updates/patches exist to get QP to boot solo. There are a few tutorials on the net with instructions on creating a new bootable partition on your drive and re-installing quickplay to get around the default Vista install configuration, but it has had varied results and in some cases has corrupted the OS and forced a complete re-install.

Hopefully if enough people write in and complain, they'll get their asses to work on making a patch to make "QuickPlay" truly quick again.

-Kozmo
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:00 PM
  •  

Hi All,

I think the nature of quickplay changed at some point.  The older version that came with my dv1130 had a linux partition to itself and booted quickly.  Then came a new version that ran on windows and since then things are slower.  It's supposed to load quickly with a minimum of drivers, but if you use user id and passwords it must be slower.  Incidently the old dvd player works with windows vista installed but the mp3 player doesn't.  I think it has to do with the music directory moving to the "user" directory instead of the old xp style directories.  This and the general performance of vista on the older hardware has me considering downgrading. 

If anyone has a hint on how to get the old style quickplay mp3 to work with vista please let me know.

Thanks

Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Cld this also be linked to problems experienced on a DV6000, my HP Quick play cannot read DVD's anymore...At times I have to re - boot the computer to have it read and play my DVD's but lately this cannot work...Pls help!
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 7:59 AM