none
Prolems Disabling IE Enable Proteced Mode

Question

• I am having problems turning off the below option in IE via GPO for user that login via a terminal server farm. I have another GPO in place that disables Enhanced Protected Mode that seems to be working.

Here are the GPO policies that I have configured:

Computer Configuration (Enabled

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Advanced Pagehide

Policy Setting Comment

Turn on Enhanced Protected Mode Disabled 

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Internet Zonehide

Policy Setting Comment

Turn on Protected Mode Enabled 

Protected Mode Disable

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Intranet Zonehide

Policy Setting Comment

Turn on Protected Mode Disabled 

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Local Machine Zonehide

Policy Setting Comment

Protected Mode Disable

User Configuration (Enabled)hide

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Internet Zonehide

Policy Setting Comment

Protected Mode Disable

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Intranet Zonehide

Policy Setting Comment

Protected Mode Disable

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Local Machine Zonehide

Policy Setting Comment

Protected Mode Disable

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Trusted Sites Zonehide

Policy Setting Comment

Protected Mode Disable

I don't know what I am missing here. When I test with a user I still see that option checked vs unchecked and greyed out. Any ideas?

• Edited by ice2921 Monday, February 15, 2016 7:23 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Ice2921,

You could use User Configuration in Group Policy to set policies that apply to users, regardless of which computer they log on to.

With Computer Configuration in Group Policy, you could set policies that are applied to computers, regardless of who logs on to the computers.

Wo could not use Computer Configuration in group policy to set policies that apply to users.

Here is a link about group policy for your reference,

Understanding Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776417(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ice2921 Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:28 AM
  • Thanks for the tips it ended up being an incorrectly configured GPO.
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Ice2921,

What OU is linked by the GPO, users OU or computer OU?

I suggest you run gpresult /h <file path> and post it for further research.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:55 AM
  • The GPO is linked to a computer OU that has the RDS farm member servers. Ill have to work on getting the gpreults to display here.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:38 PM
  • Hi Ice2921,

You could use User Configuration in Group Policy to set policies that apply to users, regardless of which computer they log on to.

With Computer Configuration in Group Policy, you could set policies that are applied to computers, regardless of who logs on to the computers.

Wo could not use Computer Configuration in group policy to set policies that apply to users.

Here is a link about group policy for your reference,

Understanding Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776417(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:28 AM
  • Thanks for the tips it ended up being an incorrectly configured GPO.
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:25 PM