none
Analysis Services and Analysis Services in SharePoint Integration Mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am in the process  of installing Project Server 2013 for one of our clients.

I want to use Analysis Services in SharePoint integrated Mode, but not sure about the implications it may have to the out of the box report templates that are generated using standard analysis services.

Will it have any implications to standard analysis services that is required to build the OLAP cubes for project server?

Thank you,

SJ

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:03 PM

Answers

• Thank you Kirtesh.

My business need as mentioned initially was to have Project Server 2013. Project 2013 uses OLAP. That requirement is a given as itis part of project server. What I wanted to know if there are any implications of using Analysis Services in SharePoint integrated Mode as I want to use PowerPivot functionality in BI centre also.

I found the answer that I needed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee637273(v=SQL.105).aspx 

"SharePoint integrated mode does not support traditional OLAP storage options. You cannot create or run MOLAP, HOLAP, or ROLAP cube databases on Analysis Services in SharePoint integrated mode. However, you can deploy an Analysis Services instance in SharePoint integrated mode and a native mode Analysis Services instance and run them side-by-side on the same computer."

Thanks

SJ

• Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Friday, December 13, 2013 2:35 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please go through below link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212940.aspx

Link is having comparison between Multidimensional which supports OLAP and Tabular Modeling which is for Power view , Accordingly you can decide.

kirtesh

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Thank you Kirtesh for your response.

I really wasn't looking at comparing them. I was asking if there are any implications on Project Server OLAP if I wanted to use Analysis Services in SharePoint integrated Mode.

Are you saying that we can have either or, but not both?

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:06 PM
  • As per your business need you can do the comparison of feature then you can decide.  

In my view, i will go for mutli dimensional SSAS as we need olap cubes while tabular does not support many of the functionalists. Sahrepoint integration mode is manily for Powerview reporting which uses PowerPivot and tabular DB.

Or

As you know we can have multiple instances of SSAS you can go for both that is what i am using in one of my client place.

If you want power view reporting which uses PowerPivot and tabular databases as a data source in sharepoint then you can go for sharepoint integration mode, otherwise SSAS in server mode(multidimensional) would be better any day.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Friday, December 13, 2013 2:19 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Thank you Kirtesh.

My business need as mentioned initially was to have Project Server 2013. Project 2013 uses OLAP. That requirement is a given as itis part of project server. What I wanted to know if there are any implications of using Analysis Services in SharePoint integrated Mode as I want to use PowerPivot functionality in BI centre also.

I found the answer that I needed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee637273(v=SQL.105).aspx 

"SharePoint integrated mode does not support traditional OLAP storage options. You cannot create or run MOLAP, HOLAP, or ROLAP cube databases on Analysis Services in SharePoint integrated mode. However, you can deploy an Analysis Services instance in SharePoint integrated mode and a native mode Analysis Services instance and run them side-by-side on the same computer."

Thanks

SJ

• Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Friday, December 13, 2013 2:35 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:34 PM