Exchange 2007 Edge Server not forwarding email to the Hub Transport Server

Question

• My organization has two Exchange 2007 Servers.  One on the inside of the network and a Edge server set up on the perimeter.  I upgraded the inside Exchange server last year from Win Server 2003 R2 to Win Server 2008 R2 and installed it on new hardware.  I am in the process of upgrading the Edge Server from Win Server 2003 R2 to Win Server 2008 R2.  I am also installing it on new hardware. 

I deleted the Edge Subscription from the old hardware and then took the server offline.  I installed Win Server 2008 R2 on the new hardware and gave the new server the same name as the old server. I installed Exchange 2007 server on the new hardware.  I then subscribed the edge server to the HUB Transport server.  I tested the Edge Synchronization and get no errors.

I set up the two network cards on the new server with the same network addresses that the old server had.  The internal network card does not have a gateway address and uses our internal dns servers.  The external network card has a gateway address and uses external dns servers.

My problem is this.  The edge server is receiving email from the outside.  I have sent test messages and when I look at the queue on the edge server the messages are there.  However, they are not being delivered to the Hub Transport Server.  I have looked at my send and receive connectors and they are set up exactly as they were on the old Edge Server.  If I disable the external network adapter, give the internal adapter a gateway address, and then reboot the edge server the mail is delivered from the edge server to the hub transport server.  Obviously, this is not acceptable.

What could be causing this and how can I fix this problem?

William Huffman

Sunday, April 7, 2013 12:15 AM

Answers

• A microsoft technician fixed the problem.  Thanks for your response.

William Huffman

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please check if your edge transport server can ping hub transport server.

If edge transport server communicate with hub transport server, you need open 25 port and 50636 port.

Besides, you also need to add A record for hub transport in hosts file on edge transport server. And you need to add A record for edge transport server in internal DNS server.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 8, 2013 2:41 AM
  • I do have the required dns records and the ports open.  I can ping each server from the other server and edge synchronization is working with no errors.

I have opened a suport call with Microsoft on this issue as I feel that it is beyond me.  I had no trouble setting up the original edge server and all of the settings are identical.  I don't see any reason for it not to work. 

William Huffman

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry for delayed response. Is there any update on your issue?

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:56 AM
  • A microsoft technician fixed the problem.  Thanks for your response.

William Huffman

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:54 AM