none
Task Manager - Physical Memory (Available + System Cache).

Question

• Hi,

When I see the task manager, I notice that my memory is primarily divided between Available memory and system cache. I partially understand that system cache is reserved by OS (don't know why) and the available memory is the memory which can be used by user applications or processes.

When I run a memory intensive SSRS report, I notice in task manager that the available memory is reducing and the system cache is reducing as well. Is OS putting memory into available memory from the system cache so that the applications can get as much memory they want? If this is correct, then how can we exactly know that how much memory is utilized by a particular user application? I thought that by subtracting the memory value at the point when my application ends from the available memory at the start will give me the memory used by my application, but because of the system cache value I think this calculation is not that straight forward (There is no other user application running on the system other than mine).

Please clarify my doubts on the available memory and system cache in the task manager.

Regards.

• Edited by Sach Vaidya Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:58 PM hjhjh
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:58 PM

Answers

All replies