exchange server issue RRS feed

• Question

• i have 2 exchange servers server 1 is operational and working fine. server 1 has mailboxdatabase1. i just built server 2 and have managed to create an  identical mailboxdatabase2 similar to the mailbox on server1. how can i copy the mailboxes on server1 to server 2 so that in case server 1 crashes i can publish server 2
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

That you can't do with 2 different databases.

If the Windows OS on both servers are the enterprise edition you can create a DAG:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979799.aspx

Leif

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:28 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Hi,

Why you want to do this manually rather than utilising benefits of Database Availibility Group DAG that will automatically replicate your Mailbox database and provide failover in case of Active Member is failed.

Regards,

Rashid Kamal, MCP, MCSA, MCTS - Exchange, JNCIA, JNCIS (If you find it useful, mark this 'As Answer', so that it can be helpful to other community members reading the thread)
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Hi,

You mean todya with your current setup?

An exchange aware backup solution should do that

Leif

• Marked as answer by akosua99 Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That you can't do with 2 different databases.

If the Windows OS on both servers are the enterprise edition you can create a DAG:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979799.aspx

Leif

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Hi,

Why you want to do this manually rather than utilising benefits of Database Availibility Group DAG that will automatically replicate your Mailbox database and provide failover in case of Active Member is failed.

Regards,

Rashid Kamal, MCP, MCSA, MCTS - Exchange, JNCIA, JNCIS (If you find it useful, mark this 'As Answer', so that it can be helpful to other community members reading the thread)
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Thanks but unfortunately the OS is standard. Please what solution do you think may  be available to enable me achieve this
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Hi,

The only resommended solution would be to install 2 new servers with the enterprise edition of the OS you are using and from there you can install the Exchange servers and then create the dag.

Leif

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:49 PM
  • yes understood but how do i preserve each individual  users' emails so no emails are lost
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:53 PM
  • Hi,

You mean todya with your current setup?

An exchange aware backup solution should do that

Leif

• Marked as answer by akosua99 Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:56 PM