none
How to disable Chat in Microsoft teams RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to disable the chat feature in Teams. I see that there is a setting to set it for folks who do not have teams and they can use skype for business. But I need to disable the chat feature completely. Any way to do that?

thanks 

Friday, April 7, 2017 8:57 PM

Answers

• Well, it's Microsoft Teams, the chat-based workspace in Office 365, thus we cannot disable chat as we discussed.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by rondefino Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 3:17 AM

All replies

• No such option afaik.
    Sunday, April 9, 2017 8:33 PM
  • Hello,

Do you mean the conversations feature in Office 365 Group? Then, Yes, we cannot disable this feature.

If you want to disable Skype for business, we can remove the Skype for business license from user.

To list all users which has Skype for Busincess license, run below command in Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell:
    Get-MsolUser -All | where {$_.isLicensed -eq $true -and $_.Licenses[0].ServiceStatus[5].ProvisioningStatus -ne "Disabled"}

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 10, 2017 5:32 AM
  • Not groups, I'm talking about Teams. The ability to IM another person in Teams. We want to disable that ability. I'm guess it cannot be done. 
    Monday, April 10, 2017 12:36 PM
  • Well, it's Microsoft Teams, the chat-based workspace in Office 365, thus we cannot disable chat as we discussed.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

• Marked as answer by rondefino Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 3:17 AM
  • Thank you for the replies. 
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:24 PM
  • Now you can! https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/19167934-abilty-to-disable-chat

From Suphatra's post in that thread: 

1. Navigate to the admin portal
    2. Click on “Settings” 
    3. Then click on “Services & add-ins” 
    4. Then click on “Microsoft Teams”
    5. Here you’ll find your Tenant-wide settings. Click on “Messaging”.
    6. Select the license type you want to configure. 
    7. Toggle off “Allow users to chat privately”. This will remove private chat from students. Please allow up to 24 hours for a change in this setting to complete. You can use it selectively enable and disable private chat from any groups of users so long they share a license type.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 3:40 AM
  • Do you know if it applies to only some users in the organisation or all. Can you for example disable it for students to curb bullying but not for staff in instance in a school?
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:25 AM
  • @Njeri Sanyu - yes in our school we have Teams Chat disabled for all students and enabled for all staff.
    Saturday, October 13, 2018 2:51 AM
  • But can students chat with teachers?

I want the students to be allowed to chat with teachers, but not other students.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Now you can! https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/19167934-abilty-to-disable-chat

From Suphatra's post in that thread: 

1. Navigate to the admin portal
    2. Click on “Settings” 
    3. Then click on “Services & add-ins” 
    4. Then click on “Microsoft Teams”
    5. Here you’ll find your Tenant-wide settings. Click on “Messaging”.
    6. Select the license type you want to configure. 
    7. Toggle off “Allow users to chat privately”. This will remove private chat from students. Please allow up to 24 hours for a change in this setting to complete. You can use it selectively enable and disable private chat from any groups of users so long they share a license type.

we are facing this issue and it doesn't exist anymore and my message policy is not stopping the private chat like I want. 
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 3:09 PM
  • How is your messaging policy configured?  It should have Chat disabled, and be granted to a group of users.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:28 PM