Unexpected behavior after using a list with a lookup column RRS feed

• Question

• Working with SharePoint 2007.  I created a list (call it List A) with one of the columns being a lookup column. 

The List A lookup column is associated with a list of valid procedure names (call it Valid List). 

When my List A comes up there is a dropdown to select a valid procedure name.  That works fine.  But that lookup column on List  A became a link to my Valid List.  I wanted the lookup column on List A to be a link to edit the List A item, but instead of a click on the lookup item taking me to the edit screen I'm being taken to the valid procedure names list. 

Can someone help me figure out where I went wrong with creating my list/lookup column?  Or... help me with a workaround to make my lookup column in List A plain text that won't be tied to the Valid List?

Appreciate your time!

Karen

KW

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:38 PM

All replies

• I have tried to setup the same condition as yours, Please verify.

1) I have created one list A and give some value in it

2) I have created another list B and added a lookup column in that which will take the value from the title column in list A.

3) Then when I clicked on the value of that looked up column that is also taking me to the parent list from where it is coming

This is the oob behaviour of SharePoint look up column

because lookup column is just fetching data from another list not a part of that used list.

So if you require that value to be pulled up as a text then I think it requires code customization.

Being an Admin I can not suggest what code change is required, sorry about that

Friday, September 28, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Hi Karen

I think you should try with a data view web part so you can customize the link of your look up column. You can do that using SharePoint Designer. 

Pedro Aparcana

Friday, September 28, 2012 5:07 PM