Error 0000C800 importing middleware 4.6 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm in the POC process of our App-V environment. Server is 2008R2, running 4.6 SP1. The server is sound as I have imported numerous applications and they stream just fine.

This morning I sequenced .Net 4.0 Framework (x64) using this article as reference (http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2011/03/10/new-kb-guide-to-sequencing-net-4-0-with-app-v-4-6-sp1.aspx). My x64/AMD64 sequencing system is Win7 Ent N w/ SP1 (2gb ram, 4 vCores) in an 08R2-SP1 Hyper-V environment, and only prereqs are installed (VC++ Redistributable 2005/2008) outside of the standard Windows Updates. All the appropriate services have been disabled.

I used the folder location of: Q:\.Net 4.0 Framework (x64)        and the package name is the same, sans the drive letter of course, and I had no errors during sequencing.

When I go to import, I get the 0000c800 error, which appears to be related to the length of the package name. Unfortunately, ".Net 4.0 Framework (x64).sft" (+Project) is not even 30 characters. Am I not supposed to actually import middleware? I can't seem to find any definitive answers, so I'm hoping somebody can chime in and help.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Just to try somethind different;

1. Create a new .NET Framework 4.0 package

2. Create a "dummy" shortcut pointing to a random executable and name it .NET Framework (will generate an OSD)

3. Import the package using the .SPRJ-file

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, August 8, 2011 11:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 10:51 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Checked my documentation back and Matthew was correct:

What I did in the past for .NET 4.0 (and did it today again for test) is sequence as normal application, and just add a shortcut to whatever, I used notepad. That way an OSD file is generated and you can then import your sequence into the appv management console. Just remove the shortcut from there.

Must be a bug in the sequencer of 4.6SP1 hotfix3 which I am using as indeed the middleware setup does just not function the way it should.

Friday, August 10, 2012 1:43 PM

All replies

• Rename the package and remove the periods and brackets from the name.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Thanks Aaron. I renamed to dotNet40Fx and still no luck. I then completely re-sequenced using the new name and same thing.

It does not appear there is an error group in the event logs for App-V, and I am otherwise unfamiliar with the error handling, but I found the sftmmc logfile and here is the entry from the last import attempt:

7/28/2011 2:46:19 PM
    ManagementConsole.MCException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
       at ManagementConsole.Applications.MultipleApps.ApplicationSelection.get_name()
       at ManagementConsole.Applications.MultipleApps.pgWizGeneral.Init(ManagementSession session, Object busObject, ErrorProvider err_provider)
       at ManagementConsole.Wizard.InitPage(PageControl page)
       at ManagementConsole.Applications.MultipleApps.fmImportWizard.InitPage(PageControl page)
       at ManagementConsole.Wizard.SelectPage(Int32 index)
       at ManagementConsole.Wizard.OnShown(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInMessagePumpProxy.OnThreadException(Object sender, ThreadExceptionEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
       at ManagementConsole.Wizard.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInMessagePumpProxy.OnThreadException(Object sender, ThreadExceptionEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProcException(Exception e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnThreadException(Exception e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ConsoleDialogHost.ShowDialog(WaitCursor waitCursor, ShowDialogCallback callback)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ConsoleDialogHost.ShowDialog(Form form, WaitCursor waitCursor)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.Console.ShowDialog(Form form)
       at ManagementConsole.NodeApplicationGroup.ImportOSDHandler()

Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Hello,

Do you have any OSD-files associated with the project?
    /Znack
    Friday, July 29, 2011 7:04 AM
  • That would be a negative. Am I supposed to just drop the middleware package into /content/<middleware package>, and then NOT import it but rather use the OSD to point other projects' dependencies to the URL of the middleware package?
    Friday, July 29, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hello,

2. Create a "dummy" shortcut pointing to a random executable and name it .NET Framework (will generate an OSD)

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, August 8, 2011 11:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 10:51 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Hello,

/Znack

I will be spending more time later today and tomorrow sequencing again, so I will give this a shot. Thanks for your help!
    Monday, August 8, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hello,

Did it resolve the problem?
    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Monday, January 16, 2012 5:55 PM
  • This is exactly the issue I have - I wish people would post when solutions work / don't work!
    Monday, July 2, 2012 3:48 PM
  • Didn't work and I had some crazy project hit my desk so the POC got scrapped and I didn't have time to follow up or try other fixes.

If you have the same error, give it a try. Znack seems to know his/her stuff, and I'm sure with an additional year under his/her belt the fix will soon come to light.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread, good luck with your issue.

Monday, July 2, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Hello TheBilly

The suggestions are open and free to test - incase you have a problem you could verify them and then share if they worked for you or if there is any additional information regarding the issue that applies to your scenario.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:36 AM
  • Not used it lately it but I think you should just import the package of .NET (that being middleware) and not import as application, as there is no real application / osd there. Try just importing the package and link to that in your applications OSD file. If I remember correctly that worked for me.

[edit]

just tried that again in my testenvironment, but no cigar. I am going to investigate.

[/edit]

Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Checked my documentation back and Matthew was correct:

What I did in the past for .NET 4.0 (and did it today again for test) is sequence as normal application, and just add a shortcut to whatever, I used notepad. That way an OSD file is generated and you can then import your sequence into the appv management console. Just remove the shortcut from there.

Must be a bug in the sequencer of 4.6SP1 hotfix3 which I am using as indeed the middleware setup does just not function the way it should.

Friday, August 10, 2012 1:43 PM