installing SP2 with a different account RRS feed

• Question

• hi -  we used a service account to install moss years ago.     now we can't figure out it's password.

1) can i install SP2 using another domain account that's in the administrators group?

2) should i just change the password?   how would that affect moss?   will i need to restart all services or reboot the server?

thanks

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1) Here are the account permissions required to update MOSS:

For the account that you use to install the software update and run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, the minimum permissions are the following:
    • Member of the Administrators group on the local computer that runs Office SharePoint Server 2007.
    • In SQL Server, the account must be all of the following:
      • Authorized to access all SharePoint Products and Technologies databases.
      • Granted the Database Creators (dbcreator) fixed server role.
      • Granted the Security Administrators (securityadmin) fixed server role.

To ensure that you have the correct permissions to install the software update and run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, Microsoft recommends that you add the account for the SharePoint Central Administration v3 application pool identity to the Administrators group on each of the local Web servers and application servers and then log on by using that account. These changes are only required for installing the update and then running the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard to complete the upgrade. After you finish installing the update, remove the account on each of the local Web servers and the application servers.

2) It's probably time you changed the password and updated SharePoint with the new credentials.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:13 PM
  • 1) Here are the account permissions required to update MOSS:

For the account that you use to install the software update and run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, the minimum permissions are the following:
    • Member of the Administrators group on the local computer that runs Office SharePoint Server 2007.
    • In SQL Server, the account must be all of the following:
      • Authorized to access all SharePoint Products and Technologies databases.
      • Granted the Database Creators (dbcreator) fixed server role.
      • Granted the Security Administrators (securityadmin) fixed server role.

To ensure that you have the correct permissions to install the software update and run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, Microsoft recommends that you add the account for the SharePoint Central Administration v3 application pool identity to the Administrators group on each of the local Web servers and application servers and then log on by using that account. These changes are only required for installing the update and then running the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard to complete the upgrade. After you finish installing the update, remove the account on each of the local Web servers and the application servers.

2) It's probably time you changed the password and updated SharePoint with the new credentials.

Thanks Jason, but unfortunately our dev and prod is using the same account so I won't be able to change the password without bringing them both down now.    I will create new, separate accounts once I move to SP2010.

I installed SP2 and ran the configuration wizard before I saw this message.   It failed with the error below.  so dev is effectively down now  :(

An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Cannot open database "SharePoint_AdminContent_<GUID>" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'domain\myusernamehere'.
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "SharePoint_AdminContent_<GUID>" requested by the login. The login failed.

Would it be okay if I asked our DBA to grant my account dbcreator and securityadmin role on all the servers?   Can I then re-rerun the product configuration wizard again?  Will my account also need access to the temp, model, system dbs as well?

• Edited by DOCMAN Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:00 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:59 AM
  • If you have same password in dev environment run below utility in there to get the lost password

http://spcracker.codeplex.com/

or you can also change password for service accounts

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838

• Marked as answer by DOCMAN Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:10 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:51 AM
  • If you have same password in dev environment run below utility in there to get the lost password

http://spcracker.codeplex.com/

or you can also change password for service accounts

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838

Puru -  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!!!  worked like a charm!!!
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:10 PM