none
Excel 2016 printing b&w on a color printer

Question

• Any idea why Excel 2016 would print b&w on a color printer?  Is that a default setting?  All Windows Apps do it too, by the way (Photos, Edge...)

• Edited by JS2010 Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:34 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In general , you could choose it in print option.Did you update your printer driver to the latest version?

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 25, 2018 6:32 AM
  • Are you using a Type 3 or a Type 4 driver?  Windows apps only produce XPS content so something may be getting lost when the spooler has to print these jobs two time for Type 3 drivers.

If you are using a Type 4 driver then it could just be lack of color support in the Type 4 version of the driver.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:14 AM
    Answerer
  • It's type 3, Kyocera ECOSYS P7040cdn KX.  Papercut recommends against type 4 print drivers.  If I right click the printer and go to printer preferences, it will say "color: full color".  If I click Printer Properties in Excel in the Print area, it will say "color: black" in exactly the same dialog box (Excel on the left). 

EDIT:

It only happens if I add the printer this way (powershell).  Maybe it doesn't update the devmode part of the user registry or something:

add-printer -connectionname \\server\printer

(which is really)

$printclass = [wmiclass]'root\StandardCimv2:MSFT_Printer' 
    $printclass.addconnection('\\server\printer')

This way prints color ok from Excel (static method):

$printclass = [wmiclass]'win32_printer'
    $printclass.addprinterconnection('\\server\printer')

• Edited by JS2010 Friday, June 8, 2018 1:54 PM
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 5:48 PM
  • I'm wrong, both scripting methods don't work for Excel color printing.  But browsing to \\server and adding the printer with the mouse works.

Monday, June 11, 2018 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

This would imply that the user Devmode is not getting created when the printer is added with a scripting method.

Check the registry keys that are added for the printer when browsing out to the server.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\DevModePerUser

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\DevModes2

Once you add the printer browsing out to the server, if you delete that printer, then run the script to add the printer, does Excel display the proper color settings?

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Saturday, June 23, 2018 5:50 AM
    Answerer