Is it possible to restore files Backed up from Vista laptop (vhd) to External HD, and open on home XP computer ? RRS feed

• Question

• The opposite of this has been answered many times in forums, but have wasted a lot of time.  If this is not possible what are other options ? 
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:34 PM

Answers

• I would suggest a third party back utility that is comp[atible with XP, Vista & 7.  Acronis is one such utility.

In Windows 7 you can mount the .VHD file in Computer Mangement the same as you would with a physical hard drive and you can copy from the .VHD while it is mounted.  The .VHD will be in Read Only mode.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:21 PM

All replies

• If you used the Microsoft Windows backup in Vista, XP cannot read that backup format.

The only options I know of is to use a computer running either Vista or Windows 7.  I think Windows 7 can read the Vista backup files.  I think you can direct the restore to an alternate location.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:44 PM
  • If I simply cut & paste to External drive, might that work ?    Or can I cut & past directly from new Window 7 laptop to old XP CPU ?
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:59 PM
  • I don't follow what your saying at all.

If the files are in a backup file, how are you going to cut & paste?

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Sorry. I will be losing my brand new laptop soon & never seeing it again. I still have a couple of days to somehow pull my personal data off it & hope to save & access from my ancient home XP CPU. I appreciate your reply, & clearly I am a novice. My 1st attempt to back up from work & re-open those vhd.files at home did not & will not work. What would be the smart thing for me to do, short of buying a new home computer! Thank you.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:41 PM
  • I would suggest a third party back utility that is comp[atible with XP, Vista & 7.  Acronis is one such utility.

In Windows 7 you can mount the .VHD file in Computer Mangement the same as you would with a physical hard drive and you can copy from the .VHD while it is mounted.  The .VHD will be in Read Only mode.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:21 PM