msExchShadow -attributes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

I stumbled across all these msExchShadow-attributes which seems to be Exchange-specific duplicates of the common AD attributes.

But I can’t remember that I have ever heard them mentioned before in any books, and there isn’t much info about them on the net. (actually I haven't managed to find any info)

So if anyone can point me to some documentation or explain the intention of these attributes I will be happy :-)

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:23 AM

Answers

• Ok, I asked about these attributes and here is answer:

You can ignore those.  They are for syncing with online services.  A designated set of AD properties have corresponding shadow properties (e.g., Title and ShadowTitle).  These values are used to break replication loops by copying the values of certain properties to “shadow properties” when an object is written to AD.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi

Sorry, I also cound not found any document that explain those attributes in detail.

I only can find a link about "Directory Migration and Synchronization", it said

"Directory Synchronization Agent does not sync the msExchShadow* attributes"

http://documents.quest.com/QB242

Cheers

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:42 AM
  • Ok, I asked about these attributes and here is answer:

You can ignore those.  They are for syncing with online services.  A designated set of AD properties have corresponding shadow properties (e.g., Title and ShadowTitle).  These values are used to break replication loops by copying the values of certain properties to “shadow properties” when an object is written to AD.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Hi

Thanks Andy for the explanation

So Martin, do you have any further question on this thread?

Cheers

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Hi Andy
    Thanks a lot for the explanation! :-)
    I’ll bet you have a good network since you can get these kinds of answers so fast ;-)

However, why is it that those attributes isn’t documented anywhere? I can’t believe that they are so unimportant to us, that we don’t need to know about them?

And what meaning should we put in the line “They are for syncing with online services”. Does that mean O365? And in case of a pure on-prem Exchange deployment, could we then use these attributes to write whatever info we like?

I’m actually experiencing a very strange behavior related to the msExchShadowInfo attribute. All the text from the ‘notes’ field is added to the msExchShadowInfo-attribute when a particular admin is editing the ‘notes’-field through EMC.

I would like to investigate this occurrence, so I will dig into the finding and post some screenshots when I know a bit more… Cuz right now I’m not sure how to explain what I’m experiencing.

…but I think that something fishy is going on ;-)

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi – as promised I have now taken a screenshot.
    Let me try to explain what the picture is showing.

Through ADUC and EMC I have added info to the note- field (attribute name ‘info’). As seen I have added the “Test from xxx” text, shifting between ADUC and EMC. No strange behavior yet… (Orang rectangle)

I then asked another admin to add some text to the notes field through EMC, and when he do that, all the text appears in both the info and msExchShadowInfo field. (Yellow rectangle)

I should properly add as a side note that we are going through a migration, and that my colleague admin-account is added with full permissions explicit on each database (maybe that has something to do with this behavior)

Anyhow – if I go to EMC or ADUC and edit or delete all the text in the info- field, it still appears in msExchShadowInfo.

I think it is strange – anyone agree? :-)

Anyone has any comments?

Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:07 PM
  • … a little update…

The behavior is not specific to the notes-field… I have just observed the same on the phone-shadowattribute… And I bet I’ll see the same pattern with the other msExchShadow-attributes…

/Martin :-)

Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:48 PM