Unable to move desktop icons in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 SP1 enterprise on my office machine and all of a sudden I am unable to move the desktop icons anymore. When I click on them I am able to select them but can't drag and drop, very weird behavior. Second time this happens. First time I rebooted the PC to fix the issue. I am preparing an enterprise desktop image based on Win7 SP1 and need to make sure this issue doesn't happen to 15,000+ users!
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Fadi.D,

Thanks for the post!

I susgest you enter into the Safe Mode to check if the issue persists.

Meanwhile, do a Clean Boot, disable the startup items and non-Microsoft services to find if there's any conflicts.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:43 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Fadi.D,

Thanks for the post!

I susgest you enter into the Safe Mode to check if the issue persists.

Meanwhile, do a Clean Boot, disable the startup items and non-Microsoft services to find if there's any conflicts.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:43 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:00 AM
  • I haven't encountered the problem since my last post. Not sure if a windows update fixed it or what exactly happened. Will let you know if it happens again.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:04 PM
  • I had this problem today immediately after launching Internet Explorer 9. I had opened a Word doc on my desktop prior to opening IE without an issue. Then I opened IE and went back to my desktop to open a TXT file so I could copy some text to Google. I was unable to click the icon. Also unable to right-click on the desktop. I closed all windows and was still unable to click the icons. I then started Task Manager and noticed that the IE process (Processes Tab) was still running. I ended the IE process and then I was able to click and right-click my desktop. Hope this helps.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:50 AM
  • I have the same issue and it comes up every couple of weeks or so.  It prevents moving anything on the desktop as well as in Outlook.  I have Windows 7 x64 and Office x64, this only started happening since going to Windows 7 and happens even after an OS rebuild.  This is a work PC and we're holding up rolling this out to our users becasue of this issue, even doing a CD install does this.  Anyone know a way to debug this?  I've tried going through and killing processes to see if one of them are responsbile but no such luck.  logout/in resets this.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Select "start" button - click "run" - type "regedit" and hit ok.

in the new opened regedit window , navigate to the below path

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\

delete this entry "no active desktop changes" and restart the machine.

now your problem should be solved.

• Proposed as answer by Kawin1 Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:23 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:14 AM
  • I just ran into this problem today.  I don't know if it was caused by one of the recent patches on Tuesday or not.  Anyhow, I changed the value to 0, rebooted and all is well.  Thanks Kawin1.

• Edited by CWarner1974 Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:00 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Of course this thread is old...but many people still use Windows 7 and if you experience this issue...

not being able to move your icons on the desktop or related

...the solutions are easy and only two. Usually the problem can be solved using #1

1) Hit esc (escape) on your keyboard 3+ times.

2) Right click , select view, then un-check auto arrange icons.

Saturday, January 23, 2016 12:17 AM
  • Thanks! option 1 works perfectly.
    Monday, May 16, 2016 11:00 AM
  • WOW thanks so much, option #1 works 100%

You must be working for Bill Gate I guess. 

Sunday, March 26, 2017 12:19 AM
  • Option 1 worked for me too, Thanks
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 2:23 PM
  • Wow. #1 worked great. I love Google....to think we used to have to pay to get these type issues fixed!!!
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Option (1) works.

Thank you ! 

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 5:43 AM
  • @PitViperMD

Option #1 worked perfectly for me, thanks !

Nota : I am on WS2012R2 

• Edited by avec-sa Tuesday, June 19, 2018 12:39 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 12:35 AM
  • Thanks,Working fine.
    Sunday, July 29, 2018 8:51 AM
  • WOW #1. What other OS should people use in 2019 then Win7? ;-)
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 8:03 PM