none
Upgrading trial to RTM RRS feed

• Question

• Whilst we have a full licence for DPM 2010, I'm currently still running the trial as this became available before our full product key.

I'm now being warned that I have around a month left of the trial and am thus wondering how I upgrade to the RTM with the least amount of hassle.

There doesn't seem to be any way to simply enter a product key into the trial version, so can I merely install the RTM over the top of the trial?  Will this work ok?  Really don't want to have to reinstall and reconfigure everything from scratch.

Thanks,

Toby.

Toby
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:47 AM

Answers

• I am not sure if the uninstallation removes just the RTM bits or both. I am thinking that it would remove all since it thinks the upgrade was successful.

The following is steps you may take. However I'd encourage you to open a support ticket with Microsoft if you are uncomfortable or unsure about any of the following.

If you run SQL management studio and connect to the DPM 2010 EVAL instance you can back up the DPMDB. You should end up with a DPMDB.bak file. Squirrel that away in a safe place. If you have that then you can get this back.

The tack I've taken is the following.

1. Uninstall DPM  with (RETAIN DATA) option.
    2. Uninstall SQL instance for DPM 2010 (you can leave the eval instance).
    3. Reinstall DPM 2010 RTM.
    4. Add your storage pool volumes to the storage pool.

Once you have DPM reinstalled and setup just like it was before we can restore the DPMDB we saved back. In an elevated command prompt do the following.

1. Run Dpmsync –RestoreDB –DbLoc <path to the dpmdb.bak file>
    2. Run Dpmsync -sync

DPM should be as it was.

/Steve

Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Toby Groves Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:33 PM

All replies

• Toby,

Have no fear. You may simply install the RTM version over the EVAL version to upgrade. Please check out the following TechNet link for more information.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff707176.aspx

/Steve

Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Thanks but it looks like my fears were well founded.

I've just followed the instructions to the letter and the install has failed.  It installed a new instance of SQL 2008 (why on earth it can't use the existing one is beyond me). and then failed on the DPM install with:

"DPM Setup failed to attach the DPM database files to BACKUP\MSDPM2010 (ID: 4372)"

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Toby
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Upon further investigation, the new instance of SQL has been installed (MSDPM2010) fine, but there's no DPMDB database in it at all.

I just tried closing and re-running the installation but it's now only offering me uninstallation options!

Great - I'm now stuck with another half-upgraded mess - thanks Microsoft.

Toby
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:11 PM
  • Toby,

During the installation wizard it asked for an account password to use for the DPM service account. If you did not use the same password that was on the existing DPM service account then I've seen this failure happen. You may also get this error if the DPMDB transaction logs from the EVAL instance had been moved.

If the former is the issue then use the same password during the upgrade wizard. If the latter is the issue then you need to move the tranaction log(s) back to the default location (with the mdf file). Then the upgrade may proceed.

/Steve

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Now I think about it, the password was probably the issue.  I think I know what the original password was, so I could try that, but how do I retry the installation, now that I'm stuck in limbo-land?  Can I uninstall the failed installation - will this return me to where I was?

EDIT: I've just checked and the password on the service account has been changed to the new one I entered during the upgrade - what do I do now!?

Toby
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:14 PM
  • I am not sure if the uninstallation removes just the RTM bits or both. I am thinking that it would remove all since it thinks the upgrade was successful.

The following is steps you may take. However I'd encourage you to open a support ticket with Microsoft if you are uncomfortable or unsure about any of the following.

If you run SQL management studio and connect to the DPM 2010 EVAL instance you can back up the DPMDB. You should end up with a DPMDB.bak file. Squirrel that away in a safe place. If you have that then you can get this back.

The tack I've taken is the following.

1. Uninstall DPM  with (RETAIN DATA) option.
    2. Uninstall SQL instance for DPM 2010 (you can leave the eval instance).
    3. Reinstall DPM 2010 RTM.
    4. Add your storage pool volumes to the storage pool.

Once you have DPM reinstalled and setup just like it was before we can restore the DPMDB we saved back. In an elevated command prompt do the following.

1. Run Dpmsync –RestoreDB –DbLoc <path to the dpmdb.bak file>
    2. Run Dpmsync -sync

DPM should be as it was.

/Steve

• Marked as answer by Toby Groves Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Many thanks for that, it appears to have done the trick!  Only issue I had was that DpmSync threw an error trying to restore the database backup, but I just did it manually via Management Studio.  Everything appears to be there, although it all needs consistency checking run but that's no problem.

Many thanks for the help,

Toby.

Toby
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:06 PM
  • There is a cool upgrade advisor avaialbe at

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/02/26/upgrade-advisor-for-dpm-2010-now-available.aspx

Please have a look at this to get detailed steps to follow.

Here are the steps copied for your requirement, I strongly recommend you to have a look at the above tool.

1. Close DPM administrator console and DPM management shell if opened.
    2. Launch DPM 2010 RTM Retail setup and proceed by clicking on Install DPM
    3. Complete the installation wizard and restart the computer to complete the upgrade (if prompted).
    4. Uninstall DPM 2010 RTM Eval SQL instance (Optional) if there are no issues after upgrade.
    Note: Agents would be compatible and replicas will not be marked inconsistent after DPM Eval to Retail uprade.

-- Thanks Chandraneel Chakka[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Thanks but this is what I already tried and it failed, leaving me with the above mess to sort out.

It does look like the problem was that the password I supplied for the service accounts wasn't the right one but, quite frankly, the installer should realise these accounts already exist and ensure the password I'm supplying is the correct one before allowing me to proceed.

I'm frankly aghast at the utter ineptitude of Microsoft's installer coders of late.  The SQL Server 2008 installer is a complete joke with major bugs which were never fixed and now this mess.  A lot more QC is required here.

Toby
    • Proposed as answer by mrman5919 Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by mrman5919 Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:09 AM
  • completely agree and unfortunately i found this post after finding myself in the exact mess! I believe that it was the password as well but this is ridiculous.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:37 PM