How Many Left? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible for someone here to tell me how many Vista Activations I have left, if I post some form of log or something as I would like to install Vista on my laptop at the moment, and then onto my desktop at a later date.

Thanks
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• The license for Windows Vista only allows you to install and activate on one (1) computer.  A second installation on a different computer requires its own license.

Ordering additional licenses for Windows Vista: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/licensing.aspx

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:28 PM
  • Sorry, I meant:

1) How many Vista Activations do I have left? Is it possible for me to find out?
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:13 PM
  • There is no limit to the number of times you can activate or reactivate Windows Vista, as long as it is perfomed on the same computer.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:06 PM
  •  

As long as the hardware has not significantly changed, then you will be able to reactivate Windows following subsquent re-installations a number of times by default; if you go over this number, you will be directed to call the activation centre. This is called Re-issuance In Tolerance (RIT). If the hardware has changed significantly then activation will fail and you will need to call the number as directed in the GUI (this is Reissuance Out of Tolerance - ROT).

This applies for Retail. OEM Activation 2.0 is tied to the hardware BIOS.

For MAK, you can check the remaining activations via VAMT or online at MVLS.

Thanks,
    Richard

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:40 PM