How do I prevent WSUS from listing hardware driver updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings SBS Family!

I'm wasting a lot of time declining literally thousands of WSUS updates for video, NIC & audio hardware drivers. I really don't want to see these confounded things in WSUS...especially when it appears that there are zillions of duplicate entries. I have been instructed by an esteemed member of the community that tweaking the default config for what WSUS reports for in SBS 2008 will break it, so is there another way to prevent these entries from appearing?

TIA

Wayne S. CompTIA A+ CompTIA Network+ Microsoft MCP www.centralcoastcomputing.com
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• By default, you shouldn't be seeing driver updates in WSUS
    We'll assume you are using the SBS Console for approving/disapproving updates

But specifically, you can go to the WSUS Administration Console under Administrative tools
    Then Go to Options > Products and Classifications and Uncheck Drivers
    It should not break WSUS

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, November 28, 2011 6:32 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:57 PM
  • None of my SBS 2008/2011 installs had the drivers classification checked in WSUS by default. It must have been checked after install. I don't think you'll break the SBS console by unchecking it.

Steve

<Wayniack> wrote in message news:1fe468c6-a945-4c21-951e-fbc35c65218c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Greetings SBS Family!

I'm wasting a lot of time declining literally thousands of WSUS updates for video, NIC & audio hardware drivers. I really don't want to see these confounded things in WSUS...especially when it appears that there are zillions of duplicate entries. I have been instructed by an esteemed member of the community that tweaking the default config for what WSUS reports for in SBS 2008 will break it, so is there another way to prevent these entries from appearing?

TIA

Wayne S. CompTIA A+ CompTIA Network+ Microsoft MCP www.centralcoastcomputing.com

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:07 PM
  • You don't break it by unchecking it.
    Uncheck it as it's not the default.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:13 PM
  • Hi Susan,

In another of my threads regarding which products are included in WSUS by default you said that I needed to leave 'All Products' checked or it would break the integration. Does that mean that even if I don't have any XP clients I still have to leave it checked in WSUS?

Also, should I be able to administer WSUS through the SBS console? That's probably a dumb question but, it didn't seem to be working before, but that was before I made some changes to bring WSUS back to a default configuration state.

TIA

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 7:48 PM