none
Software requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I see that Project Server 2010 requires Sharepoint Server. That adds quite a bit of cost to an installation for 200 employees. Are there other software requirements besides this?

If I recall, Project Server 2007 did not require Sharepoint Server - is that correct? If so, from a cost standpoint - why would I want to spend all the extra money for Server 2010 rather than to go with Server 2007?

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, October 4, 2010 2:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Mike

Some other costs to consider are the Windows Server and SQL server license costs.  SharePoint requires 64 bit process on the hardware side.

Project Server 2007 does not required MOSS, but does require Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (Free).

There are many reasons as to why you would want to go with Project Server 2010.  I would suggest, looking at the sales info.  I'm not a sales person, but I do like having Portfolio managment software built in, and better workflow management tools.  I like the new time and task management form.  Just a lot of great new features, but that's not important for a new rollout.

However, I think if you are in the first iteration of implementing project server and your PMO is fairly immature and have a lot of process that need defining, I would suggest using Project Server 2007 as a small step as to getting the corporate culture involved with using the tool.  Once this is successful, then you can migrate to Project 2010. 

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, October 4, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Check out http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee683978.aspx for the full list of Project Server 2010 hardware and software requirements.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Mike depending on the type of licensing agreement you have with MSFT (for instance do you have Software Assurance) the cost of the software might be less than you think. I highly recommend you contact your MSFT sales representative to get an accurate licensing cost estimate. Leaving cost aside I highly recommend 2010 due to some of the key investments we have made in both the server and the desktop products, some of which are listed here: http://www.microsoft.com/project/en/us/product-information.aspx
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:16 PM