none
DPM Architecture Options with DR Site which has HyperV Replicas from Primary Site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a Primary Site which is running a HyperV Cluster and DPM 2012R2 is used to backup the VM's successfully at this site. It stages data to disk for short term and then onto tape (Dell Tape Library) for long term. Works OK and relatively standard.

The customer would now like true off-site / warm standby architecture so we are to deploy another few hosts in the second site of which will be HV 2012R2 and holding HyperV replica VM's from Primary Site. At the same time we wish to move the tape library to this 2nd site and write off the HyperV replica's to tape drive.

In an ideal world we would like a DPM server (VM) in each site where site 1 writes the data from active VM's off to disk only for short term retention only. 

Then site 2 writes the replicas onto disk for short term and then off to the local tape library.

How do i fit in DPM into this architecture to achieve this? Do i need a secondary server or would they need to be separate as such (DPM in site 1 does its job of writing to disk and DPM in site 2 does its job of writing to disk then tape?). I imagine the replicas would be aware of DPM1 but not DPM2 so not sure how i would config. backups in site 2?

Appreciate your thoughts

James

• Edited by jamesturps Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:48 PM