Connection formula - 2 different dimensions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a filter in my dashboard that I want to use that has a different uniquename to that stored in the report.  How can I use the value of the filter to connect to the report?  For example the filter has an uniquename of [Employee].[Full Name].&[Joe Smith], but the report has a unique name of [SalesPerson].[Name].&[Joe Smith].  I would prefer not to have to create another dimension or rename it.  I also tried DisplayName but this did not work either.  Note that the report data comes from a different data connection than the filter data as I incorporate 2 data sources in my dashboard, but only want ot use 1 filter.

Using SP2010.

David
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:50 AM

Answers

• Utilize a Filter Link Formula on the Link between the filter and the report.  For the formula use the following syntax:

[SalesPerson].[Name].&[<<DisplayValue>>]

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Umair.Khan Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by jaxxnz1 Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:28 AM

All replies

• Utilize a Filter Link Formula on the Link between the filter and the report.  For the formula use the following syntax:

[SalesPerson].[Name].&[<<DisplayValue>>]

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Umair.Khan Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by jaxxnz1 Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:28 AM
  • But does this work across Data Connections as well?  In fact, the question should be in addition to converting from one dimension hierarchy to another, do connection from one web part, be it a filter, to another web part, filter or scorecard or SSRS Report, that uses a different Data Connection.  The reason that you would need to convert from one hierarchy to another is because they exist in different cubes or AS Databases (for instance Calendar dimensions).

Friday, October 7, 2011 10:16 PM