Can Lync 2010 Softphone/Clients dial other Softphone/Clients by extension? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am running through a brand new lync 2010 deployment.  We have just a single server for the time being while we perform some testing.  The mediation server is synonymous with the other core lync server roles.  We have a dialogic dmg 1008 gateway for inbound/outbound call processing.  I was wondering if it is possible to dial other users within the office by extension # instead of finding them in the lync client.  The reason is that we intend to replace our entire pbx and would like calling parties to be able to dial by extension.  I have looked allover and all i keep finding is how to create normalization rules to send extensions to your PBX sip peer.  I can't seem to find anything with the setup of extention to extension dialing.  Maybe i'm missing something insanely obvious?

Thanks,

Paul

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

Yes, you will need to configure the normalization rules, but you do not need to route those normalized numbers to PBX.

Here is the basic explanation: If you want to dial by extension, the normalized number should match the Line URI of the contact so that the Reverse Number Lookup component can find the user associated with that phone number.

Below you can find an example, however remember that the correct normalization rule would be dependent on the Tel URI's you assigned to your users.

Example for 4 digit extension

User1: +15556664401

User2: +15556664402

If you want user1 to call user2 by dialing 4402, then you will need a normalization rule as follows;

Pattern: ^(\d{4})

Translation rule: +1555666$1

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, May 11, 2012 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:13 PM