none
Restoring "Reopen Last Browsing Session" RRS feed

• Question

• Occationally, Internet Explorer v8 - 11 will crash, be updated, or even closed normally. Upon restarting the "Restore Previous Browsing Session" option will be grayed out.

Research is one of my job functions, and this can be infurating to have many tabs open and then have it be all lost.  On any computer other than my work computer I have had to begin to use Chrome or Firefox for reliability of restoring tabs.

At work this is not an option, and now more of my users are having this problem as well.

From what I can tell, Internet Explorer uses the folders located at:

C:\Users\mdavis\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery

...to store current and last session tab information.

So when IE crashes or is restarted and this option is not available, but all of the DAT files are still contained in that location under Active or Last active, is there a way to reopen these tabs?

And why do I have so much information in these folders.  Some of these folders and DAT are last modified in 2011.  Can I delete it and will it help?

Thanks.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the root cause is tab crashing which is generally caused by incompatible Addons.

the first step in troubleshooting web browser issues is to test in noAddons mode....

Except for IE9, to ensure that the browser stack has been cleared, you should fist close all open IE Windows/tabs, then use the Tasksmanager to check for any left over IE processes, kill them or reboot the computer to start afresh....

Then start your web browser in noaddons mode....

(the crash recovery options will not appear until the browser stack has been cleared of orphaned processes.... but still the ROOT cause is a misbehaving addon)

The legacy Office Addons... Research bar and Discussion bar, are unsupported and incompatible with IE8 and higher.

Check with the publisher of your Toolbar and BHO addons for updates to their products.

Search Provider and Accelerator addons do not use COM interfaces and so do not generally cause security conflicts.

On Win7 machines and above... Start>Control Panel>Action Center lists known issues that have been discovered with your client machines.

Official WU support for XP ends in April 14.

Rob^_^

Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.  The two machines in question are completely bone stock.  No addons.  Noaddons mode doesn't seem to make any difference when this occurs.

Most of the time, the restore works fine.  It fails after browser crashes, browser updates, and sometimes after a restart in which IE wasn't first closed.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:10 PM
  • What anti-virus addons are installed?

all OEM builds include fluff.

Rob^_^

Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:59 PM
  • all of the DAT files are still contained in that location under Active or Last active, is there a way to reopen these tabs?

I have suggested to others who have made the same observation that it seems like a good application for a Powershell script but I don't know if anyone has tried doing that yet.  E.g. it would be a way to support reopening multiple windows, not just multiple tabs.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, December 13, 2013 3:07 PM
    Answerer
  • No anti-virus installed on these test machines.  These are not OEM builds.  Nothing on these PC's that didn't come from a Microsoft Volume Licensing copy of Windows 7 / 8, and Windows Update.

-Matt

Friday, December 13, 2013 7:59 PM