none
Spanning Disks RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a brand new DPM 2012 R2 setup from the ground up, storage etc etc. Because I want to setup to 10k SFF Enterpise drives I am limited to 24 1.2 Gig drives and one as a hot spare. In Raid 6 this gives me a total 26.4 TBs to use for DPM. I am going to have TWO boxes of disks for a total of 52.8 TBs. Im hoping the HP controller I picked out will allow me to present these boxes of disks as a single disk to the operating system.

The reason for this thinking is I want the ability to keep 90 days of short term protection for Exchange on disk w/o having to rely on tape. Since the total storage needed will be 25.5 TB this leaves little room for growth.

If I can't get the controller to present a single disk I'll have two disks in DPM. Does the newer version of DPM have the ability to span/grow data on to a new disk ?

• Edited by Mike_Kubi Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:55 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

DPM 201 R2 has the ability to extend volumes over different disks that is present in DPM diskpool.
    So in your case I would have gone for presenting each enclosure for itself to the OS.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Friday, November 6, 2015 6:58 AM
  • OK that's good, is that process automatic or something I need to watch over? Where can I read about the specifics of how that works ?

I also read that DPM 2010 had a 17TB limit per disk. I can't seem to find any information if that's been raised for DPM 2012 R2 ?

• Edited by Mike_Kubi Friday, November 6, 2015 9:49 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 9:48 PM
  • does anyone have any documentation on how this process works ?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Hi Mike,

This process is automatic and often, not always, fills one disk and then proceeds to the next.
    There is no specific documentation regarding this process as DPM allocates one Replica volume volume and one Recovery Point volume for each datasource.

If your protected workload increases in size so will the replica and recovery point volume and if there is not enough avalible space on the disk they reside, DPM will create a new volume on another disk.

Here is some links to documentation and information that is useful when planning and working with the DPM disk-pool:

Plan DPM storage

Plan for disk backups

Replicas versus Recovery Points

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:46 AM