Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup] RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,<o:p></o:p>

I have looked around for an answer on this and I have tried several different things in trying to sort this from different forums.  <o:p></o:p>

"Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup]"  There are normally only three tags in that area that need filling in I believe: ComputerName (set as * in the OS layer, and edited to be the actual computer name when a machine is created), TimeZone, and ProductKey.  Unless TimeZone is bad, this error almost always means that the selected ProductKey is wrong.  I have checked these and still getting errors.   <o:p></o:p>

Within my answer file I have removed everything from the [specialize] [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup] string but still get the error.  OS i am trying to push out is Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 bit.   I have validated the answer file and all checks out okay.   Is there anything else that I can check or try.  

Cheers<o:p></o:p>

TheDarkNight<o:p></o:p>

Monday, July 11, 2016 10:05 AM

Answers

• I have sorted this now after hours/days of trying to get to work.  I manually edited the answer file and removed the <ProductKey></ProductKey> in the [specialize] section which solved the issue.   Typical soon as I post the question I sort it out haha

Monday, July 11, 2016 10:50 AM

All replies

• I have sorted this now after hours/days of trying to get to work.  I manually edited the answer file and removed the <ProductKey></ProductKey> in the [specialize] section which solved the issue.   Typical soon as I post the question I sort it out haha

Monday, July 11, 2016 10:50 AM
  • I'm having this same exact issue, going to try out your fix and see if it works. I've been banging my head on the table for two days on this problem.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:54 PM