C:\SYSVOL is 43GB BIG??!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I suddenly found that this folder automatically backs-up my documents in C:\SYSVOL\sysvol\domain\scripts.V2\
    43GB is the size of all my videos, docs, pics, audios, etc. contained in my documents folders.
    And every time I delete the documents under\scripts.v2\, it's recreated sooner afterwards... I'm really frustrated by this. Why does Vista always do these kinds of futile backups!!Thanks to this SYSVOL thing, my 120GB partition C: now has mere 8GB left...

So, dear experts, please, is there any solution to this issue other than leave the domain?

Now I can't do anything with my C drive... do I have to give up Vista and reinstall XP? Or maybe mac is a better choice?

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!

Friday, November 28, 2008 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What is the version of your system? Please click Start, in the Start Search box type "winver" and press Enter. Please let us know the result.

The folder C:\SYSVOL would exists on Domain Controllers and it stores all Access Directory components. If the system is Windows Vista, the folder may be saved by some policies in the domain. In order to confirm the root cause, please exit the domain, restart the computer, log on with a local user, and try to remove the folder. Please let us know the result. 

Monday, December 1, 2008 8:57 AM

All replies

• Not sure but have you got system restore running on the drive?
    If you turn off system restore - see if it disappears.
    Friday, November 28, 2008 4:43 PM
  •  

Thanks Hotkee, the problem seems not to be system restore, though I did free up 15 GB disk place. So I at least got a short-run sollution, though I do need system restore anyway. (btw, is it possible to customly alter the size of system restore like what we do in XP?)

If I delete the backup files and leave the domain, the problem is solved, but that's not what I want!

Does this SYSVOL-mydocument backup has anything to do with the domain?

Monday, December 1, 2008 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

What is the version of your system? Please click Start, in the Start Search box type "winver" and press Enter. Please let us know the result.

The folder C:\SYSVOL would exists on Domain Controllers and it stores all Access Directory components. If the system is Windows Vista, the folder may be saved by some policies in the domain. In order to confirm the root cause, please exit the domain, restart the computer, log on with a local user, and try to remove the folder. Please let us know the result. 

Monday, December 1, 2008 8:57 AM
  •  

Hi Arthur,

The version is 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1).

If I leave the domain and logon as a local user, I cannot open C:\SYSVOL anymore. It shows to be 0 bytes (although we all know it's not true), and whenever I try to open the SYSVOL folder, it denies me by saying that I don't have the permission.

Well, I can move my files to somewhere else on the hard disk instead of "mydocuments" and leave "mydocuments" almost empty if SYSVOL is really  so keen on backing up my documents.

P.S.: I'll ask my collegues whether there's some strange domain policies, but I don't think there is.

Monday, December 1, 2008 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

It seems that you do not have permissions to access that folder. This folder should be downloaded from a domain controller. I believe that after you exit the domain, this folder can be removed. Hope that your colleagues will give us the answer. 

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:28 AM