none
1910 - Setting up MBAM issues RRS feed

• Question

• Following the steps starting here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/protect/deploy-use/bitlocker/deploy-management-agent

And when I get to this portion of the instructions https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/protect/deploy-use/bitlocker/setup-websites#run-the-script

Using all of my actual values - the script runs, but I am getting the following error messages:

[SERVERNAME] Connecting to remote server SERVERNAME failed with the following error message : The WinRM client sent
    a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually
    returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol. For more information, see the
    about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (SERVERNAME1:String) [], PSRemotingTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : URLNotAvailable,PSSessionStateBroken
    Get-CertificateFromSqlServer : Unable to export ConfigMgr SQL Server Identification Certificate from SERVERNAME
    At C:\Users\admin\Desktop\mbam install\mbamwebsiteinstaller.ps1:1171 char:16
    +     $success = Get-CertificateFromSqlServer $SqlServerName
    +                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Get-CertificateFromSqlServer

Install-MBAMWebSites : Failure acquring SQL identity certificate.
    At C:\Users\admin\Desktop\mbam install\mbamwebsiteinstaller.ps1:1324 char:5
    +     Install-MBAMWebSites -SqlServerName $SqlServerName -SqlInstanceNa ...
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Install-MBAMWebSites

I'm on the server itself while running this .\MBAMWebSiteInstaller.ps1 -SqlServerName <ServerName> -SqlInstanceName <InstanceName> -SqlDatabaseName <DatabaseName> -ReportWebServiceUrl <ReportWebServiceUrl> -HelpdeskUsersGroupName <DomainUserGroup> -HelpdeskAdminsGroupName <DomainUserGroup> -MbamReportUsersGroupName <DomainUserGroup> -SiteInstall Both

Which it looks like the first part of the error is because it's trying to connect remote to the same server?

Any help is appreciated.

Friday, December 6, 2019 9:05 PM

Answers

• I was able to get the installation to be successful by using the following steps:

First, verify that there is a http listener pointing to the IP address of the server that hosts the SQL server instance. When I ran the following command, my output was blank. 

netsh http show iplisten

IP addresses present in the IP listen list:
    -------------------------------------------

So, I manually added the IP address of the server:

netsh http add iplisten ipaddress=x.x.x.x

Once this completed, I ran the script again, and it installed successfully.

• Marked as answer by xerxes2985 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems is an issue related to Powershell, it's powershell WinRM remote connection error, it could be caused by having IPv6 enabled on the server.
    Please try to disable IPv6 and to see if the error go away. There’s also a workaround using the hosts file if you don’t want to disable IPv6.

For more details(Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, just for your reference.):
    https://rcmtech.wordpress.com/2016/10/21/fix-powershell-winrm-remote-connection-errors/

Regards,
    Allen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 9, 2019 9:19 AM
  • Tested, and unfortunately the result is the same.

I'm running this PowerShell script directly on my CM server, that is also hosting and running the SQL instance. From the way this script looks (editing the file), it appears that it was written with the design that the SQL instance is hosted on a different server.

What you see (and what I thought) is that it's attempting to make a remote connection. However, it's trying to make a remote connection to the system it's already running on.

Any additional ideas?

Thanks

Jesse

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:07 PM
  • I was able to get the installation to be successful by using the following steps:

First, verify that there is a http listener pointing to the IP address of the server that hosts the SQL server instance. When I ran the following command, my output was blank. 

netsh http show iplisten

IP addresses present in the IP listen list:
    -------------------------------------------

So, I manually added the IP address of the server:

netsh http add iplisten ipaddress=x.x.x.x

Once this completed, I ran the script again, and it installed successfully.

• Marked as answer by xerxes2985 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for the update and sharing the solution here. I'm believe this should be useful for someone who has similar issue in the future. Here's a short summary for the problem.

Problem/Symptom:
    ===================
    Set up MBAM follow documentation, get error when run powershell script:
    .\MBAMWebSiteInstaller.ps1 -SqlServerName <ServerName> -SqlInstanceName <InstanceName> -SqlDatabaseName <DatabaseName> -ReportWebServiceUrl <ReportWebServiceUrl> -HelpdeskUsersGroupName <DomainUserGroup> -HelpdeskAdminsGroupName <DomainUserGroup> -MbamReportUsersGroupName <DomainUserGroup> -SiteInstall Both

Error message:
    The WinRM client sent
    a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually
    returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol.

Possible Cause:
    ===================
    No IP addresses present in the IP listen list.

Solution:
    ===================
    Run the command to add IP address of the server that hosts the SQL server instance manually.
    After running the command, the script can run successfully.

Regards,
    Allen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:26 AM
  • I am getting similar error but slightly different.

[srsdc107473w201.next.loc] Connecting to remote server srsdc107473w201.next.loc failed with the following error message : The client cannot connect to the destination
    specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management
    service running on the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and
    configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (srsdc107473w201.next.loc:String) [], PSRemotingTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConnect,PSSessionStateBroken
    Get-CertificateFromSqlServer : Unable to export ConfigMgr SQL Server Identification Certificate from srsdc107473w201.next.loc
    At C:\Users\A_403462\Desktop\MBAM\MBAMWebSiteInstaller.ps1:1171 char:16
    +     $success = Get-CertificateFromSqlServer $SqlServerName
    +                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Get-CertificateFromSqlServer

Install-MBAMWebSites : Failure acquring SQL identity certificate.
    At C:\Users\A_403462\Desktop\MBAM\MBAMWebSiteInstaller.ps1:1324 char:5
    +     Install-MBAMWebSites -SqlServerName $SqlServerName -SqlInstanceNa ...
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Install-MBAMWebSites

Uninstalling MBAM web site registry

SQL and Site Server are on same server and i am trying to install it on same server.

Any help please ?

SomY

• Edited by CallMeSomY Friday, December 27, 2019 12:50 PM
    Friday, December 27, 2019 12:49 PM
  • It didn't work :-(

srsdc107473w201.next.loc] Connecting to remote server srsdc107473w201.next.loc failed with the following error message : The client cannot connect to the destination
    pecified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management
    ervice running on the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and
    onfigure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
       + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (srsdc107473w201.next.loc:String) [], PSRemotingTransportException
       + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConnect,PSSessionStateBroken
    et-CertificateFromSqlServer : Unable to export ConfigMgr SQL Server Identification Certificate from srsdc107473w201.next.loc
    t C:\Users\A_403462\Desktop\MBAM\MBAMWebSiteInstaller.ps1:1171 char:16
         $success = Get-CertificateFromSqlServer $SqlServerName
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nstall-MBAMWebSites : Failure acquring SQL identity certificate.
    t C:\Users\A_403462\Desktop\MBAM\MBAMWebSiteInstaller.ps1:1324 char:5
         Install-MBAMWebSites -SqlServerName $SqlServerName -SqlInstanceNa ...
         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SomY

Friday, December 27, 2019 12:52 PM