none
Duration calculation changing after resource input RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm very new to MS Project and I must admit it's being a little frustrating at the moment.

I've set up a number of tasks for our 7 person group. At the moment only two of the people have been allocated tasks. So I type the task name, the duration, the start date, and it enters the end date correctly. But then if I type the name of the person I want to complete the task in the Resource field it changes the dates and the duration.

Is there any way to stop this?

Cheers

2010 MS Project

Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:54 PM

Answers

• ConfusedPhysicist,

Well no, and you probably don't want to stop it, although with Project 2010 you could set up a manually scheduled plan. In your case Project is simply applying its work equation to the task.

Duration = Work / Units (resources)

The whole idea behind using Project is to help project managers create and maintain a schedule intended to be executed by labor and material resources. In addition to the basic work equation Project also has three task types, fixed duration, fixed work and fixed units. My guess is you want to use a fixed duration type task in your plan. For example, let's say you have a task that has two weeks in which to complete it. The extimated total work content is 40 hours. If you leave the task type at the default setting of fixed units and assign Bob to the task, Project will assume Bob is working full time and at 8 hours per day, he will finish that 2 week task (i.e. 80 hours duration) in just one week (i.e. 40 hours work). However, by changing the task to fixed duration, you are telling Project to change Bob's assignment level to give 40 hours worth of work in a two week span. Project will therefore set Bob's assignment level to 50%.

There are many variations of the above simplification and in order to understand them and everything else about Project, I suggest you find a qualified trainer for Project. You might want to look into msprojectexperts.com

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:00 PM

All replies

• ConfusedPhysicist,

Well no, and you probably don't want to stop it, although with Project 2010 you could set up a manually scheduled plan. In your case Project is simply applying its work equation to the task.

Duration = Work / Units (resources)

The whole idea behind using Project is to help project managers create and maintain a schedule intended to be executed by labor and material resources. In addition to the basic work equation Project also has three task types, fixed duration, fixed work and fixed units. My guess is you want to use a fixed duration type task in your plan. For example, let's say you have a task that has two weeks in which to complete it. The extimated total work content is 40 hours. If you leave the task type at the default setting of fixed units and assign Bob to the task, Project will assume Bob is working full time and at 8 hours per day, he will finish that 2 week task (i.e. 80 hours duration) in just one week (i.e. 40 hours work). However, by changing the task to fixed duration, you are telling Project to change Bob's assignment level to give 40 hours worth of work in a two week span. Project will therefore set Bob's assignment level to 50%.

There are many variations of the above simplification and in order to understand them and everything else about Project, I suggest you find a qualified trainer for Project. You might want to look into msprojectexperts.com

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Thanks so much John, that is exactly what I needed to change.

I'm using MS Project for a University course and we were sort of thrown in the deep end. So we don't really care about man hours as we have to match skills to jobs needed to be done (provided hours are roughly equal). This is also why I had it set to 24 hour calendar.

Alright thanks again mate!

CP

Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:46 PM
  • CP,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Please mark this as answered so it doesn't hand around as an open post.

John

Friday, March 9, 2012 3:40 AM