how can I debug startup process? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

sometimes randomly my PC is unable to restart usually accompanied by a slowdown in every process after prolonged usage. It's noticeable in many tasks like browsing the internet, using my IDE, running multiple applications and at that point to avoid the performance degradation I have to restart the PC. 90% of the time the restart will freeze at saying "Restarting"

This can happen after 24hours of being powered on or 15 days later. There's no standard time when it occurs.

I've enabled verbose mode for this and all the messages about stopping services etc etc appear correctly and it gets stuck on the final "Restarting" message just before the screen would normally go black.

It's obvious that something is blocking the process but I'm unable to detect the cause. I can't go working for days without any USB device connected as I need them for my work but I can confirm that removing them before the restart  didn't help at all so at that point the damage is already done.

I was wondering if there is a debugger I could hook to the process or force windows to be more verbose like linux to actually determine the root cause of this issue when it occurs again

Any help is appreciated.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi maintanosgr.

You can use Process Monitor and enable boot time logging of all operations.
    Process Monitor can be downloaded for free from 
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Thursday, July 25, 2019 11:04 AM
  • Seems a great tool, I'll try and test with it next time before I perform a restart.
    Saturday, July 27, 2019 6:21 AM
  • check out the Windows performance Recorder and Performance Analyzer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/wpt/windows-performance-recorder

Saturday, July 27, 2019 6:58 PM
  • Seems a great tool, I'll try and test with it next time before I perform a restart.

OK.
    Let us know if it can help you.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Monday, July 29, 2019 3:20 PM