Cannot Migrate Orphaned Exchange Mailboxes to Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Half way through migrating exchange 2010 to exchange 2013.

Have migrated all users mailboxes to new servers and are left with 3 mailboxes in Exchange 2010 EMC that show as "legacy Mailbox" but do not have an associated mail database.

On further inspection of the affected objects (which include the Domain administrator account) I can see in AD Users and computers Attribute editor that the user objects have the attribute msExchHomeSever referencing a long gone Exchange 5.5 Server (i.e. they were not correctly migrated to exchange 2010 from 5.5).

Can I get some advice on either adding a new database on the exchange 2010 server for each object and then migrating object to 2013 or how to remove the old exchange attributes in order that I can then create a mailbox for each and then migrate these over to 2013

Thanks

Monday, July 13, 2020 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi. Half way through migrating exchange 2010 to exchange 2013.

Have migrated all users mailboxes to new servers and are left with 3 mailboxes in Exchange 2010 EMC that show as "legacy Mailbox" but do not have an associated mail database.

On further inspection of the affected objects (which include the Domain administrator account) I can see in AD Users and computers Attribute editor that the user objects have the attribute msExchHomeSever referencing a long gone Exchange 5.5 Server (i.e. they were not correctly migrated to exchange 2010 from 5.5).

Can I get some advice on either adding a new database on the exchange 2010 server for each object and then migrating object to 2013 or how to remove the old exchange attributes in order that I can then create a mailbox for each and then migrate these over to 2013

Thanks

Well, the domain administrator should never be mailbox enabled.

For the others, you can set the value using adsiedit on those accounts to the current 2010 or 2013 server as well as the database. Use an existing mailbox as an example.

You could also just try setting the database with Powershell and see if that allows it

Set-Mailbox -Database <SomeValidDatabase>

Monday, July 13, 2020 12:25 PM
  • Thanks for that.

Do you know of a quick way of making these "non mail enabled" easily?

In this way I could do this and add a mailbox later if needed.

Monday, July 13, 2020 12:35 PM
  • Thanks for that.

Do you know of a quick way of making these "non mail enabled" easily?

In this way I could do this and add a mailbox later if needed.

If you clear the mailbox database ( Home MDB) and MSExchange Server Name, that may be sufficient for now. If not then clear the Mail attribute, proxyaddresses and anything that starts with MSExch
    Monday, July 13, 2020 12:39 PM
  • Hi Ian,

Just checked in to see how everything is going on with this thread. If you found the replies above provided by Andy were helpful, would you mind clicking "Mark as answer" on his post so that it can be beneficial to others reading this thread? If you still need further help on this, please feel free to post back. 

This Exchange Server 2013 - Setup, Deployment, Updates, and Migration Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Microsoft Online: Migration and Coexistence forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, July 17, 2020 1:57 AM