none
New-Mailboxsearch -sender option not working

Question

• Hi all, I've been asked to search for an old email in ALL the mailboxes of the organization.

I've already tried with delivery reports and message tracking log cmdlets (it's the same, and I'm limited to last 30 days)

Then I came across with this New-mailboxsearch cmdlet.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298064%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx

but when i try to find somethingit doesn't recognize the "sender" parameter.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-MailboxSearch -Name "search1" -sender sender@company.com
    A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'sender'.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-MailboxSearch], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,New-MailboxSearch

So, is there a way to make this work? if not, is another way so search for a mail in ALL mailboxes, different than messagetracking logs, or delivery report tool?

thank you all,

PD: My version is Exchange 2013 standard.

• Edited by hegokkh Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:43 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:40 AM

Answers

• Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

If the error when using "Senders" parameter is the same as the error when using "Sender"?

If yes, then it could be RBAC permission issue.

Firstly, please make sure your account is in Discovery Management Role Group. By default, the Discovery Management role group doesn't have any members including administrators.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 6, 2015 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Looks like typo error. Try "-senders" parameter.

My LinkedIn profile

Thursday, November 5, 2015 11:29 AM
  • Hi thanks, forgot to mention that i tried also this one..

Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:21 PM
  • Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

If the error when using "Senders" parameter is the same as the error when using "Sender"?

If yes, then it could be RBAC permission issue.

Firstly, please make sure your account is in Discovery Management Role Group. By default, the Discovery Management role group doesn't have any members including administrators.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 6, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

I have confirmed this and the account have to be member of Discovery management group.

You can assign this in ECP og Exchange powershell:

Add-RoleGroupMember "Discovery Management" -Member Youruser

Sign out and sign back in again, then when type -sen you can use tab and it will autofill to -senders.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Friday, November 6, 2015 12:19 PM