App-V 5 Deploy To Machine RRS feed

• Question

• I was under the understanding that App-v 5 came with the ability to deploy in machine context as well as user context running in standard app-v infrastructure (not using SCCM)

I can't seem to find anything about deploying to machines.  I have tried to add the machine account to the entitled application group and that hasn't worked.  Have i got this wrong? or is it simply a case of adding the package via local powershell commands and if i do this will it be available to all users on that machine?

Blog: http://Softwaredeployment.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Yes, you can deploy per machine. You need to enable a globlal-refresh, these can not be started from the UI;
    Name             : Add-AppvPublishingServer
    CommandType      : Cmdlet
    Definition       :
                       Add-AppvPublishingServer [-Name] <string> [-URL] <string> [[-GlobalRefreshEnabled] <bool>]
                       [[-GlobalRefreshOnLogon] <bool>] [[-GlobalRefreshInterval] <uint32>] [[-GlobalRefreshIntervalUnit]
                       <IntervalUnit>] [[-UserRefreshEnabled] <bool>] [[-UserRefreshOnLogon] <bool>]
                       [[-UserRefreshInterval] <uint32>] [[-UserRefreshIntervalUnit] <IntervalUnit>] [<CommonParameters>]
    Use -globalrefreshlogon, -globalrefreshenabled, -globalrefreshinterval and -globalrefreshintervalunit to configure the client

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 9:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Cbragg Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cbragg Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:29 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure as yet, because I haven't completely understood myself. Have you tested to see if there is a difference in a per-user or global package?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:26 PM
  • no i haven't had a chance to look into that yet.  Also looking to play with and get my head around the new scs mode too, it's not clear yet whether or not user settings are retained and where

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Shared Content Store doesn't change where user settings are stored, they're still at:

• HKCU\Software\Microsoft\AppV
    • %AppData%\Microsoft\AppV

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, you can deploy per machine. You need to enable a globlal-refresh, these can not be started from the UI;
    Name             : Add-AppvPublishingServer
    CommandType      : Cmdlet
    Definition       :
                       Add-AppvPublishingServer [-Name] <string> [-URL] <string> [[-GlobalRefreshEnabled] <bool>]
                       [[-GlobalRefreshOnLogon] <bool>] [[-GlobalRefreshInterval] <uint32>] [[-GlobalRefreshIntervalUnit]
                       <IntervalUnit>] [[-UserRefreshEnabled] <bool>] [[-UserRefreshOnLogon] <bool>]
                       [[-UserRefreshInterval] <uint32>] [[-UserRefreshIntervalUnit] <IntervalUnit>] [<CommonParameters>]
    Use -globalrefreshlogon, -globalrefreshenabled, -globalrefreshinterval and -globalrefreshintervalunit to configure the client

• Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 9:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Cbragg Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cbragg Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:29 PM
  • That's great info but what are the steps of publishing them to a machine on the server side?

Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:43 AM
  • Hello,

Just a wild guess;

Publish it to an AD-group

Make computer part of AD-group

Not idea if this is the right way togo, but testing ti doesn't seem like a great effort

Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:54 AM
  • You know what, it worked a treat.  I thought I'd already tried that.  I will have to post a small blog on my steps to publish an application per machine rather than per user but it worked well :)

Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:06 AM
  • If I understand the GlobalRefreshInterval and GlobalRefreshIntervalUnit properly via this technet article "About Client Configuration Settings"

Then this would cause a refresh every hour"

GlobalRefreshInterval = 1

GlobalRefreshIntervalUnit = 0

This would cause a refresh every day @ 01:00:

GlobalRefreshInterval = 1

GlobalRefreshIntervalUnit = 1

Is this accurate?  Or does the GlobalRefreshInterval correspond to seconds?  The thing that is weird is it allows an integer up to 744.  I'm trying to understand what a max of 744 could correspond to.  Every 744 hours?

Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:57 PM
  • I don't see a definition in the second page - granted I'm running it through a translator.

I get that "0" corresponds to hour and "1" corresponds to day, but what neither site tells you is how the Unit setting translates into an Interval setting.  The technet page description isn't very good, and so far I cannot get global refresh working at all.  I'm not sure if it's this setting or something else, hence trying to learn the setting.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:21 PM