none
Exception HR from installing POSReady RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install POSReady over an existing Windows 7 Pro installation, because I am evaluating it for my company. I'm seeing this exception when trying to install. Any guidance?

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042913
    Stack trace:    at VDS.IVdsVolumeMF.Format(_VDS_FILE_SYSTEM_TYPE type, String pwszLabel, UInt32 dwUnitAllocationSize, Int32 bForce, Int32 bQuickFormat, Int32 bEnableCompression, IVdsAsync& ppAsync)
       at Microsoft.Setup.WindowsEmbedded.VdsHelper.FormatVolume(Guid volumeId, _VDS_FILE_SYSTEM_TYPE fileSystem, String volumeLabel, UInt32 allocationUnit, Boolean quickFormat, Boolean enableCompression)
       at Microsoft.Setup.WindowsEmbedded.VolumeFormatAction.DoAction()

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:13 PM

Answers

• POSReady 2009 is designed to install on bare metal systems, therefore it does not understand some partition types, especially when attempting to install overtop of newer technologies.  In these circumstances it is best to clean the drive with diskpart prior to attempting the installation.

Terry Warwick, Microsoft 

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:18 AM

All replies

• Looks like this is resulting because you can't install POSReady onto a volume that is dynamic. The drive type has to be Simple.

I created a separate volume and made it a simple drive and setup got going finally.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:29 PM
  • POSReady 2009 is designed to install on bare metal systems, therefore it does not understand some partition types, especially when attempting to install overtop of newer technologies.  In these circumstances it is best to clean the drive with diskpart prior to attempting the installation.

Terry Warwick, Microsoft 

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:18 AM