none
Login with old passwords.

Question

• Hi to all,

i have a strange issue with a Windows 7 notebook. When the user that use this notebook change his password, Windows 7 doesn't accept the new password and continue to accept only the old one.

To solve, i have to login with the old password, run a gpupdate /force, logoff and then the login works successfully with the new password.

One note..... the notebook is often off for some weeks.

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If the notebook is often off, so the cached domain logon information keep the old information with old password. for this reason the user was obliged to use the old password first time.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:32 PM
  • If the password change was done from the Windows 7 PC then you need to check your DCs health status using dcdiag and your AD replication status using repadmin.

If the password change was not done from the Windows 7 PC then your issues caused the fact that cached credentials are used. The PC would be to authenticate against AD and validate the new password if it is able to reach your DCs.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:52 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 1:57 PM