Report on Hardware Virtualization Support RRS feed

• Question

• My customer is looking for systems that have hardware virtualization support (Intel-VT / AMD-V).

Using SCCM reporting I can return quite some information on the system BIOS and processor.
    Based on that information I could manually crosscheck the virtualization support on the Intel/AMD websites.

I would like to avoid manual work and was wondering if similar information could be directly retrieved from the SCCM database.
    I could not find the data in the database so I would assume -if this can be done- it would require a MOF customization.

Monday, September 21, 2009 2:37 PM

Answers

• This might help you a bit.  Apparently in bios you can tell if it "supports" virtualization.  But whether or not virtualization is actually enabled or not... That's different.  win32_bios.bioscharacteristics (in the multi-value; I'm guessing one of the vendor- or system-specific settings, in the 40 to 63 range)
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/servervirtualization/thread/9e357fee-7365-4e70-846a-2148974d2203

I'm guessing your next question might be "what value in bioscharacteristics"... idk.  that might be different per-vendor.  and another future question might be "how can you tell whether it's enabled, not just available"... that might require client wmi stuff, like perhaps if you are a Dell shop, OMCI might have that info in there (I don't know if it does or not, but if the default win32_bios.biocharacteristics doesn't have enough info, OMCI for Dell may)
    Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:24 AM