Domain administrator has no privileges in windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Even domain admins and domain administrator has been added to local administrators group I only have normal user priveleges when I log on to the domain as administrator on a windows 7.

Why??

:-) BjT

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:10 AM

Answers

• Right, 

That explains why the domain admin won't make any difference, it is a local policy/issue.

I use Lenovo desktops/laptops and I also use WDS for imaging but i never use the OEM Windows which comes with the PCs because there is too many unnecessary applications on them, i use the default install image on WDS (clean Windows 7 X flavour) and then i customize it accordingly with drivers etc... sysprep it and capture my customized image.

You can try that, if you are going to use it as an image you might as well getting a vanilla install. It is very easy to get all the drivers from Lenovo website, it is worth a try...

Regards, 

Hugo

A.I.
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:34 AM
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Right, 

That explains why the domain admin won't make any difference, it is a local policy/issue.

I use Lenovo desktops/laptops and I also use WDS for imaging but i never use the OEM Windows which comes with the PCs because there is too many unnecessary applications on them, i use the default install image on WDS (clean Windows 7 X flavour) and then i customize it accordingly with drivers etc... sysprep it and capture my customized image.

You can try that, if you are going to use it as an image you might as well getting a vanilla install. It is very easy to get all the drivers from Lenovo website, it is worth a try...

Regards, 

Hugo

A.I.

So this isn't normal on Windows 7?  I normally don't use the OEM version for the reasons you stated.  I was being lazy because I don't know if we will be using very many of these workstations.  It came with Windows 7 so I was using it for testing.

Thanks for your advise.

• Proposed as answer by Hugo Pecora Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:37 PM
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:04 PM

All replies

• Okay, first this type of question isn't related to the UI, but is more likely secruity (forum) related.  At least the subject is wrong as even a normal user has some privaleges.

Just to ensure you're clear your security token isn't being updated correctly, specifically what actions are you being denied from performing, or what is indicating that you're not indeed the equivilent of a local admin?

Can you review the Event Viewer logs to review the logs upon the error you're getting, this too will help in narrowing down what's going on.

Go to Run > key in cmd then key in gpresult & please post the output here or at least clarify which groups this account you're using is in.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

First, I would like to know what you want to do in the Windows 7 client and how about other Windows 7 clients in this domain. Please provide the detailed symptom of this issue for further research.

Please also check with the domain administrator if there are any domain group policy objects that restrict the privileges.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:59 AM
  • I find that even though "domain admins" is in the local machine adminstrator group, when logged on as a domain admin in Windows 7, I am unable to open the "Documents and Settings" folder or the c:\Users\All Users\desktop or c:\Users\All Users\Application Data.  I get the "Access is Denied" pop up.

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Hi,

This seems more like folders permissions, the c:\users\all user have special permissions by default and the local admin have full permission unless specified otherwise...

was it like this before you joined the domain?

A.I.
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

This seems more like folders permissions, the c:\users\all user have special permissions by default and the local admin have full permission unless specified otherwise...

was it like this before you joined the domain?

A.I.

Yes, it was like that before I joined the domain.  When logged on with the local computer administrator account, I had the same problems.  This a brand new Windows 7 (OEM version, 32 bit) install on a new Lenovo desktop, using the Lenovo restore disk.

I want to make an image of this desktop to use on other new computers.  I am used to Windows XP, where I create an image after I load all the software and put the desired short cuts and settings in "All users\Desktop" and "Default Users\Desktop".  I can't access these with Windows 7.

MC

Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Right, 

Regards, 

Hugo

A.I.
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:34 AM
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Right, 

Regards, 

Hugo

A.I.

So this isn't normal on Windows 7?  I normally don't use the OEM version for the reasons you stated.  I was being lazy because I don't know if we will be using very many of these workstations.  It came with Windows 7 so I was using it for testing.

Thanks for your advise.

• Proposed as answer by Hugo Pecora Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:37 PM
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:04 PM