none
Implementing Windows 10 ADMX in a domain

Question

• This is an extremely basic question, forgive me. I only touch these files once every few years.

I see that I can download new ADMX and ADML files HERE. I see on my domain controllers that I have a folder SYSVOL\Windows\PolicyDefinitions.  I see within there that I have ADMX files, and then a single language folder with the ADML files.

Now, I see that the Windows 10 Admin Templates would be these exact same files. 

Do I simply replace the existing files with these newer template files?  Do I lose anything or only gain?

I'm seeing that some of my domain Group Policy is not applying to Windows 10 machines, so I assume that I need to update and possibly find some new settings to play with, but I just want to be sure that by overwriting my existing ADMX and ADML files (mostly with 2010 time stamps - likely placed there when I had to do this same thing after windows 7 came out).

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:24 PM

Answers

• > Do I simply replace the existing files with these newer template files?

Yes.

> Do I lose anything or only gain?

No.

> I'm seeing that some of my domain Group Policy is not applying to
    > Windows 10 machines, so I assume that I need to update and possibly find
    > some new settings to play with,

No - the PolicyDefinitions folder has no influence in any way on GPO
    processing. Run "gpupdate" - what's the message on screen? Check the
    application and group policy eventlogs for warnings and errors.

• Marked as answer by tmiller112 Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:07 PM

All replies

• > Do I simply replace the existing files with these newer template files?

Yes.

> Do I lose anything or only gain?

No.

> I'm seeing that some of my domain Group Policy is not applying to
    > Windows 10 machines, so I assume that I need to update and possibly find
    > some new settings to play with,

No - the PolicyDefinitions folder has no influence in any way on GPO
    processing. Run "gpupdate" - what's the message on screen? Check the
    application and group policy eventlogs for warnings and errors.

• Marked as answer by tmiller112 Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:07 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I see that I had a central store setup, and so I've updated that and now see the updated policy.

I stated my issue wrong.  I'm not specifically seeing a failure for policy to apply.  But some updated I have pushed out via group policy are not having an effect on my windows 10 machine.  I've resolved some of them (forgot to move the computer into the right AD-OU).

However I'm seeing a problem where my mapped drives are not remembered, and shortcuts attached to my taskbar are missing, every time I reload.

My mapped drives are delivered via Group Policy, with user GPP.  I have them set as UPDATE, with "Reconnect" = Enabled.  On the workstations, desktop is pointed to one of these mapped drives, which is also set to be available offline.  On all Windows 7 machines this is no problem.  However when I logon to my Win10 machine I see a message that my desktop location (M:\Desktop) is unavailable.  If I'm local, after a few seconds the desktop appears.  I assume that this is when it then applies the GPP that maps that M: drive.  When I'm remote, it never shows up (until I establish a VPN connection to the network).  That is even though I make the M drive entirely available offline.  I'm guessing that I have to modify the way I'm delivering these mapped drives such that Win10 keeps them there on reboot. 

The taskbar icons appear to be a separate issue.  They are just in the standard location and for some reason I have to restart the Explorer process to get it them to show up.  Every time... even after my desktop icons show up. 

I realize this is getting away from my original post.  I can post it elsewhere if you prefer not to answer, but wanted to spell it out in case there is some obvious answer that I'm not aware of.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:22 PM
  • Yeah never mind all of this as well... turns out I just didn't have the "reconnect" setting applied to the special policy I had applied to my OU... which explains why this has not been a problem for other Win10 machines.  And the taskbar pinned applications apparently applies after the desktop, because now that's not a problem either.  

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Hi,
    I am glad that your problem is gone.
    And appreciate your update and share.It will be greatly helpful to others.
    Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 3:12 AM