LYNC Enterprise with SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have read alot about this issue but I need some pure answers from the ones who has experienced specially related to SQL side

1- is LYNC 2013 really not supporting SQL cluster ? if LYNC server will only act with the virtual name of the cluster and if it is down it will automatically failover to another node , then how will LYNC doesn't support this as he doesn't know that this is cluster or single server ! , or does Microsoft mean by "supported" as certified solution but it will work good !?

2- as per Microsoft , upgrade from 2010 enterprise to 2013 enterprise then SQL is supporting the cluster , but not recommended ! , I have the following scenario please advise if I am wrong in anywhere

LYNC 2010 standard installed , with SQL cluster Active/Passive 2008 R2 and it is the backend of SharePoint, if I want to move to LYNC 2013 Enterprise with same SQL servers  I will do the following

a- create a new instance in the SQL for LYNC , and this new instance should be clustered for different drive than the default ones

b- upgrade LYNC 2010 standard to enterprise , then now I have 2 enterprise server LYNC (or can I do only one as it is temporary) with 2 SQL cluster with 2 instances

c- upgrade LYNC 2010 enterprise to 2013 enterprise , will it us the same SQL instance ? or should I get new instance ? the upgrade process (to save as much temporary server I can) I am thinking of is 

1- 1 server of 2010 standard pool

2- 1 server of 2010 standard pool, and 1 server of 2010 enterprise pool

3- decommission the standard 2010 pool , so the remaining is 1 server of 2010 enterprise pool

4- 1 servers of 2010 enterprise pool ,and 1 server of 2013 enterprise pool

5- decommission the enterprise 2010 pool , so the remaining is 1 servers of 2013 enterprise  pool

6- 2 servers of 2013 enterprise  pool

Appreciate if I got clear answers for my questions as I already read many articles

Regards,

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:10 PM

Answers

• Just a few comments, from what we were told MSCS SQL Clusters are not supported, period.  If it works, great but when/if you need help you are out of luck.  The reliance on the BackEnd server has diminished in 2013, more responsibility for database needs for real time communicaiton has been transfered to the FE servers who can stay up and operational during a SQL back end outage.  Your best bet is starting with a new single SQL server.

You mention the work "upgrade" numerous times - be aware ther ther eis no upgrade from 2010 to 2013.  You run them side by side, no in place upgrades.

You also mention ending with 2 servers in a 2013 pool, this is not a supported solution.  A 2013 FE pool needs 3 servers to be completely functional and fault tolerant - a change from 2010.

Clearly there are many ways to accomplish things, the above are just my thoughts on the questions asked.

• Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:58 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:12 PM
  • To add to what jb1677 had to say, the supported SQL Server resilincy model in 2013 is SQL Mirroring. So if one server fails, the other SQL Server picks up the work load. So you should begin researching how to best implementing SQL Mirroring in your environment.

You can run with 1 or 2 Enterprise Edition Front Ends. I believe it will be supported by Microsoft but it is not recommended. They would prefer 3 front end servers if you can afford it. And honestly, if you can't afford it, then I'd be inclined to consider 2 Standard Edition Servers in a paired-pool configuration over 2 Enterprise Edition servers. It's up to you to weigh the pros and cons.

Have you visited Lync News lately? All of the latest Lync news, articles, and tips collected in one giant aggregator. http://lyncne.ws

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Note that the CMS is not on your standard pool, if yes, you can’t decommission the standard 2010 pool it step 3.

The database server cannot support more than one Enterprise Edition Front End pool, so you need to deploy another SQL Server for Lync Server 2013.

If you want to move the Lync Server 2010 Configuration Management Server to Lync Server 2013 before you can remove the legacy Lync Server 2010 server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj688013.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:36 AM

All replies

• Just a few comments, from what we were told MSCS SQL Clusters are not supported, period.  If it works, great but when/if you need help you are out of luck.  The reliance on the BackEnd server has diminished in 2013, more responsibility for database needs for real time communicaiton has been transfered to the FE servers who can stay up and operational during a SQL back end outage.  Your best bet is starting with a new single SQL server.

You mention the work "upgrade" numerous times - be aware ther ther eis no upgrade from 2010 to 2013.  You run them side by side, no in place upgrades.

You also mention ending with 2 servers in a 2013 pool, this is not a supported solution.  A 2013 FE pool needs 3 servers to be completely functional and fault tolerant - a change from 2010.

Clearly there are many ways to accomplish things, the above are just my thoughts on the questions asked.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:12 PM
  • To add to what jb1677 had to say, the supported SQL Server resilincy model in 2013 is SQL Mirroring. So if one server fails, the other SQL Server picks up the work load. So you should begin researching how to best implementing SQL Mirroring in your environment.

You can run with 1 or 2 Enterprise Edition Front Ends. I believe it will be supported by Microsoft but it is not recommended. They would prefer 3 front end servers if you can afford it. And honestly, if you can't afford it, then I'd be inclined to consider 2 Standard Edition Servers in a paired-pool configuration over 2 Enterprise Edition servers. It's up to you to weigh the pros and cons.

Have you visited Lync News lately? All of the latest Lync news, articles, and tips collected in one giant aggregator. http://lyncne.ws

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Thanks for your comments , 

I know there is no in place upgrade , in upgrade I mean migrate 

the problem in two standard pairing that it needs manual failover , while in enterprise you don't have to 

regarding the three server enterprise , I know Microsoft recommend this , but following the below article showing that it will not make problem unless two servers boots together , which we can avoid easier than building another server 

http://unifiedme.co.uk/2013/04/lync-server-2013-front-end-architecture-process-and-can-you-run-enterprise-edition-pool-with-one-two-front-end-servers/

as per Microsoft they mentioned this 

If you are upgrading from Lync Server 2010 and you have deployed an Enterprise Edition Front End pool that uses SQL clustering in that existing Lync Server topology, we recommend that you implement SQL Mirroring as a replacement for the existing SQL clustering deployment. However, continuing to use the existing SQL cluster with Lync Server 2013 is supported, but not recommended.

and I am trying to accomplish this scenario , that is why I start this question , specially about my questions about the SQL instances 

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:35 AM
  • Note that the CMS is not on your standard pool, if yes, you can’t decommission the standard 2010 pool it step 3.

The database server cannot support more than one Enterprise Edition Front End pool, so you need to deploy another SQL Server for Lync Server 2013.

If you want to move the Lync Server 2010 Configuration Management Server to Lync Server 2013 before you can remove the legacy Lync Server 2010 server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj688013.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:36 AM
  • I will move the CMS before decommission

I found good article here 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/25b24157-ff7c-403c-974c-358f45d22815/step-by-step-migration-from-lync-server-2010-to-lync-server-2013

so about this sentence 

I think I will have pilot SQL for the 2010 enterprise during migration  then I can use the production one for 2013 enterprise , but do I have to cluster the pilot SQL ? to stay in the supported scenario that Microsoft mentioned about upgrading is supported but not recommended ?

Regards,

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:37 AM
  • so if SQL server should be changed when moving from LYNC Enterprise 2010 to 2013 , then what Microsoft means by "existing SQL cluster"  here

If you are upgrading from Lync Server 2010 and you have deployed an Enterprise Edition Front End pool that uses SQL clustering in that existing Lync Server topology, we recommend that you implement SQL Mirroring as a replacement for the existing SQL clustering deployment. However, continuing to use the existing SQL cluster with Lync Server 2013 is supported.

• Edited by Wael Schakaki Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:12 AM correction
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:12 AM
  • The existing SQL clustering means the Enterprise Edition Front End pool that uses SQL clustering for Lync Server 2010. It is recommend to replace the existing SQL clustering with SQL mirroring before migration.

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:35 AM