none
Hyper V stuck on Stopping

Question

• Hyper V installed on Server 2012 Standard, which is a DC and does not have RRAS installed.

Every time I restart the VM, is does not go past Stopping.

I have tried killing the process, but I get an Access Denied error.

I am force to keep restarting the server, which is now making me really uncomfortable.

Assistance please.

Thursday, February 09, 2017 7:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Maybe this one applies.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2823643/virtual-machines-freeze-at-the-stopping-state-after-you-shut-down-the-virtual-machines-in-windows-server-2012

Also it is not recommended to have active directory roles installed along side hyper-v. Host should have hyper-v role and better to install active directory domain services on a guest.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Leo HanModerator Thursday, March 02, 2017 10:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by dmwaigi Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:04 AM
    Thursday, February 09, 2017 7:57 PM
  • Hyper V installed on Server 2012 Standard, which is a DC and does not have RRAS installed.

Every time I restart the VM,

Not sure of what your configuration is.  If you have DC and Hyper-V installed on the physical host, then I agree with Dave.  Not recommended.  In fact, it has been known to create problems, so it is really more than a recommendation.  But then you say "every time I restart the VM" but you do not say what VM.  Is the VM the DC?  Any VM on the Hyper-V host? 

If you do have Hyper-V and DC deployed on the same physical instance, the first thing to do would be to separate them.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, February 09, 2017 11:22 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates on the issue?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 10:33 AM
  • No solution yet.

How do I close the question in totality either way?

Friday, March 03, 2017 6:01 AM
  • "How do I close the question in totality either way?"

Mark one or more of the responses as an answer.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, March 03, 2017 2:30 PM