none
Power BI connector to multiple instances RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking to use NLB for two Analysis Services Servers which will both be used as query and processing servers. However, my understanding is that Power BI connector can only connect to one instance (One server). Is there anyway to overcome this so Power BI could be load balanced over the two servers?

Regards,

Sean

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hey Sean,

Basically, AS connector cares about a data source name for the AS server – as long as NLB projects a network name for AS that hides the true AS servers that are behind it, the AS connector shouldn’t care.

Imagine something like this:
    - Machine A with AS instance1
    - Machine B with AS instance2
    - NLB exposes a network name of MyAS that will balance to either A or B
    - AS Connector is installed on Machine C (or A or B)
    - AS Connector points to MyAS

The AS Connector doesn’t really know which AS it is being pointed to. It opens the connection via NLB to either A or B, and keeps that connection open.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,

Mini

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:19 PM

All replies

• Hey Sean,
    In this case you can define the AS Connector to point to the main query server and it should take care of load balancing. Is it not working for you?

-mini

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:23 PM
  • Hi Mini,

How does it take care of the load balancing across two servers if it is only connected to one? The point is that there is no "main server", both servers will be processing/query where we would typically use a NLB to load balance user queries. As the connector can only connect to one instance, how do you achieve such a solution?

Sean

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Hey Sean,

Basically, AS connector cares about a data source name for the AS server – as long as NLB projects a network name for AS that hides the true AS servers that are behind it, the AS connector shouldn’t care.

Imagine something like this:
    - Machine A with AS instance1
    - Machine B with AS instance2
    - NLB exposes a network name of MyAS that will balance to either A or B
    - AS Connector is installed on Machine C (or A or B)
    - AS Connector points to MyAS

The AS Connector doesn’t really know which AS it is being pointed to. It opens the connection via NLB to either A or B, and keeps that connection open.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,

Mini

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:19 PM