none
set computer name after sysprep in Windows 10

Question

• Hi,

After sysprep in Windows 10 I don't have promte with set computer name like in Windows 7. Why ?

Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is normal and correct.

Please Note:

In Windows 10, users can no longer enter a computer name during OOBE as the name is auto-generated. To set a default computer name pre-OOBE, OEMs can configure ComputerName in the Unattend.xml file and specify a name for the computer. After OOBE, end users can change this default computer name after OOBE by changing it in the System Properties page.

Please understand this point.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 24, 2017 5:53 AM
  • I have Workstation Lab. It is not comfortable change manually computer name. This computer have to connect to domain with specific computer name. 
    Friday, March 24, 2017 7:25 AM
  • I know your demand, but we do can't change this point. Please understand.

Maybe this situation can be improved in future.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:52 AM
  • How is this achieved?

We need to set the computer name BEFORE using the azure AD join on OOBE

What is the sugested layout and parameters in a MINIMAL unattended.xml file that i can feed into sysprep with:

sysprep /oobe /generalize /reboot /Unattended:c:\windows\panther\unattended.xml

Or similar..

Win10 1803 has a CATCH-22 in that the system name is randomly set during OOBE and we need to use the Azure Domain Join built-in to the OOBE.

The machine ends up with an unacceptable random name on the Azure AD !
    Subsequently changing the computer name does not update the joined computer name in Azure AD

Thursday, October 11, 2018 3:18 PM