none
Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology : Topology activation failed. Redistribution of data failed for Index components.

Question

• Hello,

I have a 4 servers topology as follow :

The actual replicated partition contains almost 17M items so I want to add one replicated partition and redistribute items accross the 2 partitions.

Following the technet I used the following PS commands :

$hostApp1 = "srv-sp-app-01"
    $hostApp2 = "srv-sp-app-02"

$IndexLocation = "D:\Search\Index1"

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication
    $active = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -SearchApplication $ssa -Active
    $clone = New-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -SearchApplication $ssa -Clone -SearchTopology $active

New-SPEnterpriseSearchIndexComponent -SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $hostApp1 -IndexPartition 1 -Rootdirectory $IndexLocation
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchIndexComponent -SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $hostApp2 -IndexPartition 1 -Rootdirectory $IndexLocation

if ($ssa.IsPaused() -ne 0)
        {write-host "SSA is paused, check why (backup ? Index Partitioning) and reexecute the partitioning process !"}
    else {
        write-host "Let's partition !"
        $ssa.PauseForIndexRepartitioning()
        Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Identity $clone
    }

The command is executed on srv-sp-app-01.

A new Index seems to be created on D:\Search\Index1 but none at the same location on server on srv-sp-app-02. The repartition process stops after 5 minutes with :

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology : Topology activation failed. Redistribution of data failed for Index components

ULS logs are note very usefull :

Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Topology.SearchTopologyActivationException: Topology activation failed. Redistribution of data failed for Index components.    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Topology.SearchTopology.ActivateSilently()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Topology.SearchTopology.Activate()    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdlet.ProcessRecord()

Error Category: InvalidData    Target Object  Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Cmdlet.SetSearchTopology  Details  NULL  RecommendedAction NULL

I would like to avoid the index reset > index partition add > recrawl way ...

Anybody can help please ?

Thanks !

Fred

• Edited by FredAlmA Monday, February 20, 2017 2:33 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 1:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not sure if this will help, but I would try to create your new index component in two passes.  First create index partition 1 on one of the servers and leave it sit for a while, probably overnight if you can.  Then do a second pass to create the replica of partition 1 on the other server.   I think it may be having issues trying to redistribute the index and replicate it at the same time.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Monday, February 20, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Thanks Paul for your suggestion. I've tried already to do this in two passes. But at first I receive this error :

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology : Topology activation failed. It is not possible to repartition the index into a non-rectangular topology

Monday, February 20, 2017 2:28 PM
  • In that case you might have to remove the extra partition for partition 0, then split the partition, then add the cloned partitions back for 0 and 1.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Monday, February 20, 2017 2:40 PM
  • It sounds almost logical to proceed as suggested indeed ... But unfortunately I end up with the same error while promoting the new topology (the one with two partitions and no more replica).

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology : Topology activation failed. Redistribution of
    data failed for Index components.

Meanwhile I am wondering if it's not a free disk related issue : my index is 192GB while the disk is 300 GB.

Don't I need 192GB * 2 ?

Monday, February 20, 2017 3:33 PM
  • YOu might need that much workspace while its reprovisioning the indexes yes.

Monday, February 20, 2017 4:19 PM
  • Seems that provisionning the double of the index size is doing the trick ... partitioning in progress, I will confirm tomorrow !
    Monday, February 20, 2017 8:30 PM
  • The second Partition has been added successfully ! I guess the main issue was coming from the disk size lack but not sure the two actions (delete index component replicated and increase disk size) are in fact necessary...

There is something weird nevertheless : I expected to have the same size on disk splitted in two parts after the repartitioning process. Instead of that, the size is 50% over the original size. In the other hand, the number searchable items were 17M and are now 25M ... Do we have to compact or update the patition table in some way ? Recrawl each content source ? Because now before replicate my partition on the secondary application server  I'm supposed to add a 3rd one and how can I know that a 4th one would be necessary after adding the 3rd and so on ? If you have any idea ...

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:55 AM
  • In fact the first index (Index 0) has the same size on disk after repartitioning (192GB). And now I have the 130GB for the second index (Index 1). How to clear the data in both index partition ?

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Ok for the number of searchable items I reset the config cache + full crawl of one content source and I get the correct number. Still have the disk size issue ...
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Is anybody has suggestion on how to reduce the size on disk of partition 0 after adding a new partition ?
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:02 AM
  • We end up by reseting search index and recrawl whole content
    • Marked as answer by FredAlmA Tuesday, August 29, 2017 12:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 12:57 PM
  • Worked for me after restarting the SharePoint Application servers and configure the topology again

Ayman Saleh

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10:17 AM